Help!!!!!

nicole.collicott

Hatching
9 Years
May 6, 2010
Hi, I found one of Buff Orpingtons this evening with a good size skin tear on her left side sort of under her wing. I am guessing it is from one of the roosters mating a bit too rough but now I have this chicken with bare flesh showing. I have isolated her but wondering if there are any other suggestions?? She is still eating, drinking and gave me a run for my money when I tried to catch her.

A warm welcome from an imp in Washington, sorry your hen got hurt.

I think you could just make sure it is clean, and dry. You could use some triple antibiotic cream on it too. Just make sure it contains NO pain reliever ending with "caine". like benzocaine, lidocaine etc.
Most chicken heal fast and she should be better soon. I'll attach a link to anther thread with some good info:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=203024

Good luck,

Imp

same advice but also isolate her from the others until she is healed, chickens will go after a wounded hen and can kill her in an afternoon. otherwise, keep the wound clean, dry and infection free, keep her in a warm place for a few days to help her heal, she should be fine in a few days

Definitely clean it, then put on BlueKote to keep other birds attention off it. Had to do that last spring with an SLW with a torn comb. Other birds kept picking at it until the BlueKote covered it up. Worked like a charm, though.

Saline works really good for cleaning a wound without killing tissue (like peroxide does). Rinse it out, pat it dry and put an antibiotic cream on it. Isolate her and check to make sure it's not getting infected while she heals.

Back
Top Bottom