HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkieluvr, Apr 13, 2008.

1. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Broody just gave up on eggs on day 20 and i dont have an incubator open or a thermometer besides one for people and one for cooking! What shuld i do??

2. fowl32

fowl32 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    by day 20 they dont need turning or anything and the temp doesnt have to be as high, put them under a bulb and see what happens...

plus candel them she might have given up on them because they were not developed.

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    You can get them in a cooler of sorts, but a light bulb next to them to get them warm.

Try to use any therm you have, maybe even an outdoor thermometer and see if you can get them up to 100F.

are you sure she left them for good? My broodys usually will stay on quite a bit longer than 21 days....

4. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    I don't know how to do it but someone said you can use a toaster oven you can try a search

5. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    My advice would be to put them under a heat lamp trying to keep the temp at about 100. You should candle them to see if there are c hicks in there.

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    You can use your mercury people thermometer. Any thermometer will do. Remember err on the side of to cool not to hot. Place a light over the eggs and put them on a warm damp ( not wet towel or cloth) place them any place that is warm while you set up your temporary hatching place. A box of any kind to help keep drafts off. You can use an electric skillet lay down a thick base of shavings or sand best if you have one with a vent on top. I would not use a toaster oven. The hanging light you would use in your brooder should work fine. I have heard of people using their electric blanket as well but the clamp light 75 to 100 watts placed high enough to get the temperature you need. Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by