Help!

ryanbonin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
We went to pick up a couple pullets tonight and my daughter talked me into bringing home a couple of day old Runners! Her cuteness combined with that of the ducklings over powered me and now I'm needing a crash course on duckling raising 101. I'll post some pictures tomorrow! Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Congrats on the babies!
First, keep them warm- then read the sticky at the top of these threads. That info should get you by for a bit.

Good luck! Ducklings are so wonderful!

short list of basics....95 degrees in one area of the enclosure (allow them room away from heat), waterer not big enough to enter, not small enough to topple, never use medicated chick feed-ever... game bird crumbles with 20% protein for first 3 weeks...game bird rations generally have enough niacin for ducks... a very important element of duck feed... if you can't get that, use a non-medicated chick crumble and add 100 milligrams niacin per gallon of drinking water. Niacin supplaments are available at drug stores, get capsules with powder-its easier. The rest of the info you can get out of the sticky over the next few days. Just don't let the birds enter and get wet in the water, never leave them without water and keep them on towels that are changed often or pine shavings that aren't allowed to get wet (placing the waterer on top of a elevated mesh/screen platform to prevent bedding from clogging the waterer and water from wetting bedding which keeps your workload down). Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom