Help!!

Putting the younger ducks with the older ones depends partly on how much space they have. I have several runs and keep my jr ducks and ducklings in their separate pens until they are about 6 weeks old, then I allow them in our very large fenced yard with the adults (under supervision). In the more neutral space with lots of room, there is rarely any problem. If I have ducklings with a mother, they can spend their days out younger, she will protect them and guide them.

Ducks do tend to have their groups and prefer the ducks they were raised with. However, I find that I can shift them around and they will generally gradually bond in the new groups.

I would NOT put baby ducks out with adults, that will definitely be a problem. I agree that being near each other is a good idea to get to know each other before going out together. If space is limited or you only have a couple of youngsters with several older ducks, you will want to wait longer to let them be together. Supervise and see how they do and be prepared to separate them again, if need be.

I had a problem putting a new female in with my drake and two other females a while ago. It was during mating season and he was relentlessly chasing, mating and biting her. I have to say it was very upsetting to me. It took about a month or two for him to relax, but he still does tend to pick on her a bit more than the other two. She only has one wing and is quite a bit smaller than the others, so he bullies her sometimes. These are all adults, so I imagine it would be worse with babies.

Back
Top Bottom