Help!!

Chick1043

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Idaho
This morning around 11 a.m. eeg #4 pipped it hasn't chipped the shell for 7 hours at all except I can see it beak! I decided to (carefully) take a piece of shell off and I think the inner membrane shrink wrapped! What do I do!?!?!

I have no idea, but I'm responding in the hopes that it'll attract someone who actually has experience.

I'm guessing you could either up the humidity even more, or possible help it to hatch. Considering I've never actually successfully hatched a chick, you really shouldn't take any advice I give.

ok.. if it's shrink wrapped you need to remove as much of the loose shell as you can
have wet paper towels handy.. as well as a small dish of clean warm water and either a q-tip or your finger
once you have removed all of the loose shell moisten the membrane with either your finger or the wet q-tip

you're going to need to make a tear in the membrane near where the beak is.. DO NOT get any water in the beak or the nostrils

as you tear the membrane IF YOU SEE ANY FRESH BLOOD STOP.. wrap the egg.. covering the membrane with the wet paper towels and return it to the bator.. if you do not see any fresh blood continue slowly and carefully tearing the membrane

if you have to return the chick to the bator leave it for an hour or so then go back to helping it hatch

just as a note.. if you decide to ever assist a chick in hatching the key thing to remember is to go slowly.. and if you come across any blood to wrap it in the wet paper towels and place it back in the bator

in a normal hatch as the chick pips and zips it sends signals which stops the blood flow through those veins.. and also gives the chick time to absorb the yolk.. if the chick doesn't get to zip a lot of times there is still blood flow to the veins and if you go too quickly in assisting you can cause the chick to lose too much blood

allowing a chick to hatch on its own also gives it the chance to strengthen leg muscles.. so a lot of time an assisted chick takes a little longer to get his legs under him

yinepu wrote nice instructions; When I opened the eggs (3) I moved rather quickly, breaking off the egg shell quickly and easily as it is fragile and chips very easily ( mine did, anyway) . Chip arround like a chick zipping, then tear the membrane, it can be tough or papery. rip carefully, there's a little chick on the other side.
as you tear the membrane IF YOU SEE ANY FRESH BLOOD STOP.. wrap the egg.. covering the membrane with the wet paper towels and return it to the bator.. if you do not see any fresh blood continue slowly and carefully tearing the membrane

Try to just lift back the cap and see if the chick can mange from there. If not, chip away going to the small end of the shell LOOKING FOR VEINS. If veins, stop, wait, let the blood get absorbed. THen release the chick slowly.

My last chick had the membrane glued to it's back and no way it could kick out at all.

My first chick did not use it's hind legs very well and failed to thrive. On the last 2 I was determined to help it survive. I did PT to activate and stregnthen the legs. It worked very well, those 2 act like every one else within a few day.

PM me for the details on the PT, or do a search, as I have written this in detail elsewhere.

Give it a go.

Yinepu gave great details.​

Right now it isn't fully shrink wrapped. Just part of it. It seems to be getting out of it little by little. Thanks everyone! :)

Back
Top Bottom