Help!!!

I live in NJ, morris county, Just got 2 hens, am afraid to let anyone know. town might say i can't have them, we have an acre in a really nice area, called Powder Mill. If I call the town and they say no. then I have to get rid of them. just thought I could keep it quiet. it is only 2 chickens. do you know any laws or rules of the area.
thank you for any advise.

I do not know of any laws or rules in your area. Look up the muni code for your city or county. I am heading up the fight to change the ordinances in my city. You will be surprised at how many people come out of the woodwork to support you and who want hens too! Do not be afraid. That is what keeps people silent. Start a group. Get the community involved. The people who don't want chickens are usually ignorant. I sure don't mean that disrespectfully. Ignorant is not knowing. They know fiction and myths. They say/think things like you have to have a rooster, they attract rodents, they attract bugs, they harbor and spread disease, they stink, they are loud. NONE of these things are true. you do NOT have to have a rooster, they eat bugs AND rodents if one happens in their path, and only roosters are loud! Get your hands on the book by Patricia called CITY CHICKS. It has a wealth of information on getting chickens legal and on micro flocks.

I signed the petition and I was #289. I was born and raised in Virginia Beach and grew up in the Great Neck Area. We always had chickens and I have kept that tradition going. We still live in the same area. If you don't mind me asking what area of Virginia Beach do you live?

I signed the petition and I was #289. I was born and raised in Virginia Beach and grew up in the Great Neck Area. We always had chickens and I have kept that tradition going. We still live in the same area. If you don't mind me asking what area of Virginia Beach do you live?

I'm not sure who you're asking but we live in the Kempsville area. Our chicks arrive in 3 weeks! Have you ever had anyone complain about your chickens?

I haven't had any complaints so far. I know there are at least three other people that have chickens in the surrounding area and they have had them for some time without any problems.

That's always encouraging to hear. I'm hoping that we won't have any problems with ours. I'm surprised by all of the unfavorable comments regarding the article in the Pilot. I expected more positive responses. It's disappointing.

I am so excited me and my girls made the front page today! WOOOOOHOOOO! Let's get these laws changed. Please go to pilotonline.com and vote to keep backyard chickens.

Can we come to your hearing? If so, what time is it scheduled for? We'll be there and rally others to join also!
Okay...I applied for my appeal at the zoning board office today. The lady there was very helpful and on my side. So is the zoning inspector. Gotta love it. They were helping me word my forms correctly and telling me what may have a bigger impact on the decision of the board. Pictures, letters from my neighbors...blah blah YES....Thank you for the help! April 4th is the hearing date. They are going to put a big sign in my front yard and put an add in the paper. They say that was what my $200 fee was for the appeal. Wish me and all of Virginia Beach luck!

Back
Top Bottom