Help!

Fitzchickens

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
Hi, I'm new to raising chickens and need some suggestions. Two weeks ago I saved two hens from becoming supper. Everything was going great. I wanted 6-8 chickens, so I found some more and last Friday bought 4 more hens. I put the new hens in the coop with the other ones, and day 1 was fine but not so since. The original two chickens have not accepted or stopped picking on the new chickens. I have separated the two hens for two days in a dog crate in the run, but I have to put them in the coop at night because of cold weather. Nothing has changed. I have to go out at night and put the 4 new hens on the roosting pole so they can sleep on it. I have done this for 3 nights. The original hens also will not let the other hens out of the coop. They keep them huddled in a corner or on top of the nesting boxes while they stand guard on the floor. I also want them to free range a bit, but they won't leave the coop. If I want them to leave the coop I have to make them stay out by shutting it up. I even have to close off the run to keep them out of the run. The moment I open the coop up or the run the original two heard them inside. I throw out scratch and veggies to keep them encouraged but nothing works. The original two only want out around 5 every night. If they are not out, they will not let the others out. The original two are also picking on the 4 still. It will be a week tomorrow that I introduced them and I'm starting to worry. I think if they would roam around the yard they wouldn't pick on each other so much. I guess I need suggestions on how to get them to get along (maybe I'm worrying too much), and how to get them to stay out of the coop.

Last edited:
When you separate the two bully chickens, put them where the other chickens can not see them, and after a day or 2(possibly longer), reintroduce them. That should knock the bully chickens down the pecking order a bit.

What i'd do is have 2 crates in the pen and put the hens in there so the 4 others adapt to them
wink.png

Do you mean put the my original two hens in the crates? One in each crate or do you mean to put the new 4 in a crate and the old 2 in a crate? Sorry didn't understand.

Do you mean put the my original two hens in the crates? One in each crate or do you mean to put the new 4 in a crate and the old 2 in a crate? Sorry didn't understand.

What i'd do is have 2 crates in the pen and put the hens in there so the 4 others adapt to them
wink.png

Sorry i didn't explain right! Yes put the original hens in the crates (one in each one) And let the new chickens adapt to their surroundings in the coop. I had the same issue with my chickens but the method worked. But at night all of our chickens get grumpy and pick on each other to get the best spot so that's natural.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom