1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. mr.mc.

mr.mc. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    I think my macaw may be sick! His breathing is very loud, and he is just acting funny. WTH DO I DO? (please help I love my lil birdie boy)
    [​IMG]

2. chshafer

chshafer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    PA
    It would be best to get him to a vet as soon as you can. as a prey species, birds are very good at hiding they are sick because in nature if an animal seems sick it is likely to be chosen to be a predators next meal. if hes showing signs of being sick it may already have been going on for a while but he was trying very hard not to let anyone know. if his breathing sounds loud he may have an upper respiratory infection. birds easily get sick if they get into drafts in the winter. it could also be something as simple as needing more humidity in the air. air in homes can be much drier in the winter because of heaters running and that could make his breathing sound funny too. but to be on the safe side i would recommend seeing a vet. Good luck! hope everything turns out ok.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2

A visit to the vet needs to happen. What are all the symptoms? Any runny nose, coughing, diarrhea? If you are unable to find one that takes birds or does not know how to treat them, (this is my case) and he is exhibiting any of these symptoms, you could try some antibiotics. If you have some for your poultry, they will work on your parrots. Just a thought.

I hope he feels well soon. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. egg-cellent

egg-cellent Chillin' With My Peeps

I sure hope he feels better soon too.

5. mr.mc.

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    .............. [​IMG] .......... [​IMG]
    ......................[​IMG]..............
    YAY!!!!! He has made a full recovery! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

[​IMG]

7. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land

Yaaaaaaayyyy!!!!!!! :clap :woot :celebrate :weee

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Great! What was the matter with him? Asthma attack?

9. mr.mc.

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    I still don't know what was the mater with him, but I think he passed it on to my other birds(including my now dead cockatiel) [​IMG]
    However, I may be getting a new bird, very soon! [​IMG]

10. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Oh no! I'm so sorry about your cockatiel. But, this sounds like a very bad idea since you don't know what was wrong... birds don't get 'colds'-- they get viruses and infections, and most bird disease is communicable from bird to bird. Sometimes to people, too, when talking about psitticosis and such. Some diseases are fatal to the parrot, while others cause life-long chronic problems. Please figure out what is wrong first, before bringing another bird home! If your cockatiel died very recently, a necropsy can be done by your avian vet if you have one... otherwise you really should consider getting your macaw in for a check up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by