HELP!

Locricchio5

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
I have a buff Orpington hen that went broody about 3 weeks ago. Since I don't have a roo I went a bought 6 fertile eggs from a neighbor that does. She's been a great mama so far and really never leaves her nest unless I coax her with treats. My problem is when I went out today to feed and water everyone and check in her one of the eggs had been completely cracked on one side leaving the egg falt on one side mother membrane is still intact and I can see the chick moving around. I don't know what to do. Should I help it out? Leave it alone? Tonight she kind of set it a side from the other eggs and wasn't keeping it warm so I put it back under her front feathers away from her legs.

Any suggestions?

If it has been three weeks, then you should expect them to hatch any time now. If the chick is alive and warm under her, it should hatch without a problem. Just make sure she sits on it, other than that, just leave it alone.

Thanks for the advice. I left her alone last night and she was sitting on all the eggs. This morning I went to check on her and sure enough there was a brand new baby. However it wasn't the baby I had expected it was a new baby. That chick had died in the night and never broke free of the membrane. :-( I was very disappointed because even though I had 4 different people tell me the same thing you just did I felt like I should've helped the little guy. This is my 1 st time with this so next time I will go with my gut.
The really exciting thing was I now have 3 healthy babies with 2 eggs left to hatch. I candled them just about an hour ago and one looks viable but the other seems as if it's stopped growing. I guess I'll know for sure in a day or so.

Well, my B orpington mama successfully hatched 4 out of 6 chicks. She is proving to be a great mom!
My question is she is looking a little ragged and I want to know if there is anything I can give her to help bring her back to health? All of my girls free range 2.5 acres of land during the day and are locked up safe at night. She pretty much stays in the coop all the time since the hawks want to make meals out of her chicks. Anyone have any suggestions of what I can give her to help her out?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom