Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chookalina, Oct 9, 2012.

1. chookalina

chookalina Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    So it is Oct. 9, and since my last post the girls (16 of them with two roos to inspire them) are laying an average of a dozen eggs a day. Which is wonderful. But today I went out, collected 12, and one girl was sitting on top of some eggs in one of the nesters. Now, as much as I really wanted a broody hen, I live in the Rocky Mountains, and I am worried it is too late in the year for her to be trying to raise a clutch. It was quite late in the day, and they are generally done laying by noon, so I am assuming she was feeling broody. My husband says we should discourage her because of the lateness of the season, and I am inclined to agree... but I don't want to discourage her as I would love some chicks in the spring. All and any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    If it will be very cold soon I would go ahead and discourage it for the time being. Hens can still brood fine in the cold temps but it's still riskier IMO than if you just waited until spring. Chances are she will sit again in spring if she's showing signs now.

3. chookalina

Jun 29, 2012
    Yes, it is dropping down below zero most nights now...

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. Unless you are prepared to be able to separate them from the others and provide extra heat just in case, I wouldn't let her set on the eggs. This doesn't mean she won't go broody again. :thumbsup

5. chookalina

Jun 29, 2012
    ok thanks guys! I am sure glad I joined BYC!

6. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

7. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and [​IMG] So glad you joined us!!![​IMG]

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] To break her broodiness you can put her in a wire bottom cage. Broody hen's have an elevated body temperature and by placing her in the cage you'll make it very hard for her to maintain this, so after a few days she'll give up and stop being broody. People have come up with other ways, like dunking them in cold water, but I think this is the nicest way to go about it! Good luck!

9. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello and welcome to BYC from Kentucky! So happy you joined.

[​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by