Help!

chookalina

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 29, 2012
So it is Oct. 9, and since my last post the girls (16 of them with two roos to inspire them) are laying an average of a dozen eggs a day. Which is wonderful. But today I went out, collected 12, and one girl was sitting on top of some eggs in one of the nesters. Now, as much as I really wanted a broody hen, I live in the Rocky Mountains, and I am worried it is too late in the year for her to be trying to raise a clutch. It was quite late in the day, and they are generally done laying by noon, so I am assuming she was feeling broody. My husband says we should discourage her because of the lateness of the season, and I am inclined to agree... but I don't want to discourage her as I would love some chicks in the spring. All and any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

If it will be very cold soon I would go ahead and discourage it for the time being. Hens can still brood fine in the cold temps but it's still riskier IMO than if you just waited until spring. Chances are she will sit again in spring if she's showing signs now.

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. Unless you are prepared to be able to separate them from the others and provide extra heat just in case, I wouldn't let her set on the eggs. This doesn't mean she won't go broody again. :thumbsup

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
To break her broodiness you can put her in a wire bottom cage. Broody hen's have an elevated body temperature and by placing her in the cage you'll make it very hard for her to maintain this, so after a few days she'll give up and stop being broody. People have come up with other ways, like dunking them in cold water, but I think this is the nicest way to go about it! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom