HELP!

Missing Annie

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 4, 2012
We diagnosed our duck MacKenzie with bumble foot. We soaked her foot in Epsom salts and sprayed it with vetericyn and wrapped it with vet wrap for 1 week. With no change we performed surgery Sunday 11/11/12. We were unable to remove a kernel and there was not much cottage cheese or stringy stuff (what we read that we should expect) to remove from bumble. Have been soaking her foot in Epsom salts once a day for 10 min. since surgery and spraying her bumble with vetericyn, then spraying a gauze pad with the vetericyn and putting on bumble and wrapping with vet wrap. The sore is now more swollen (probably twice the size) and not showing any improvement at all. It is really hard when you touch it and I cannot squeeze anything out. Do I need to do the surgery again or give it a little more time? I will take her to the vet if necessary but was hoping I could remedy it on my own. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I had a duck get a bad place on its foot like you described and I put triple antibiotic ointment on whole leg and gave them penicillin 1cc and 1/2cc of tylan 50 mixed together in syringe under skin on breast. I mix them together in same shot because tylan is so hard on tissue and seems to work so well with penicillin. Anyways daily I put antibiotic ointment on its leg and gave my duck a shot about every 3 or 4 days and it is almost well now. I am not sure what it was but I think their bumble foot is different than chickens and it just takes time to get them, well.

Back
Top Bottom