Help!

spoiledpooh

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
I have a rooster that has problems with his eye and I do not know what to do. My son is freaking out because my husband thinks we might have to get rid of it and I don't agree with that, so does my son. It all started by his eye was shut closed with a white pus overlapping it and now the white pus over the eye is gone but he still has a swollen eye. If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate a lot.

it look infected either from an injury or respiratory infection. I know what I would do with the rooster, but most arent set up for the home we provide. best to get him to a Vet for help.

Thank you for replying to my post is there anything I can do at home before I take him to the vet.

Almost certainly infection ... can you run this down for us: When this first appeared, stages of it, the time since his eye closed, and when the increase in swelling occured?

It first appeared a couple of days ago and now my mom came over and she looked at it and she said he has no eyeball...It all started a couple of days ago when I thought he had dirt in his eye because he was having a hard time seeing out of it then it started to get pus on his eye. Then a few days later it started to swell up and it stared to get a pus sac on his whole eye and I went to the feed store and they gave me some powder medicine to put in his water and they said I can also use it to wash his eye out, but not too sure how to do that and as of today the pus sac surrounding his eye went away, but the swollen part of it hasn't I am afraid I am going to lose him if I cannot control the swelling. Plus as of today he my husband picked him up and noticed he is losing weight, but he is eating and very active, he even chases after a ball when he is able to. Now I have another hen that has bubbles in her eye and I am not sure on what to do about that either.

Quote:
It first appeared a couple of days ago and now my mom came over and she looked at it and she said he has no eyeball...It all started a couple of days ago when I thought he had dirt in his eye because he was having a hard time seeing out of it then it started to get pus on his eye. Then a few days later it started to swell up and it stared to get a pus sac on his whole eye and I went to the feed store and they gave me some powder medicine to put in his water and they said I can also use it to wash his eye out, but not too sure how to do that and as of today the pus sac surrounding his eye went away, but the swollen part of it hasn't I am afraid I am going to lose him if I cannot control the swelling. Plus as of today he my husband picked him up and noticed he is losing weight, but he is eating and very active, he even chases after a ball when he is able to. Now I have another hen that has bubbles in her eye and I am not sure on what to do about that either.

When you say "a couple of days ago" and then "a couple of days later" and then other days ... the timetable isn't complete here, which might make a big difference in diagnosis ... but, I suspect this is a staphylococcal infection. What was the exact medicine given, and exactly when, and how was it administered?

Most probably, he will lose (or has lost) sight in the infected eye, which is unfortunate, but not nearly so important to domesticated birds. Be very cautious when handling poultry anyhow, as there are always ways we can get sick from them, and visa versa, but absolutely scrub up well when you know you're dealin' w/ infected animals and poultry (before and after is best), and you should probably keep any symptomatic birds away from the flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom