Help? =\

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by barredrockbaby, Feb 25, 2013.

1. barredrockbaby

barredrockbaby New Egg

Feb 25, 2013
    One of my chickens has a bald spot on the top of her head right behind her comb. it isn't bleeding so I'm not too worried about it. Is there something I can do to keep my other chickens from picking on her? I was thinking i could do bitter spray but I'm afraid if I get it in her eyes it will sting..... :\

My chickens are being kept inside at the moment due to hawks

Help please! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. Nemmie

Nemmie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Do you know if she is actually getting pecked by others in the flock or has she just developed this naturally? Also how big is the bald spot and what breed of hen is she? c:

One of my leghorns has always had a tiny bald spot that's never affected her and the others have never touched. If it's not affecting her I'd just leave it.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If it's just a bald spot with skin over it, I'd just leave it and see how things go. Do you have a rooster? I have a few "favorite" hens who have that bald, red skinned area right behingd the combs, but never broken skin. So I figure it's all good.

4. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    Grandma would put campho phenique on wounds or red spots and cover with talc to camouflage it from other chickens. They peck at wounds relentlessly. This treatment would also give the wound/spot time to heal with the ointment application. Hey... It worked!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by