Help?

aarontheman

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 18, 2012
Ireland dublin
Hi i am asking instead of nest boxes can i cut a hole in a plastic milk carton and use that or any other things lying around to make a nesting place thanks i am running low on wood and i only get the off cuts from my dad not much use cause theres not enough

You can use anything - those birds are not fussy. Do you mean you want to make a box for the pair to live in (and then you add a 'nest' for them), or do you mean you are only wanting a nest?

I use old bowls from the kitchen, old dog bowls, cut down cardboard boxes to make nest for the birds. I wrap them up in old newspaper so they are not slippery for the birds. Then I put the nest in the pairs box and they will add nesting material to it if they want, or just lay the eggs in it.

If you are making boxes for the pairs to roost and have nest in, then you can use any large rectangular box - plastic storage boxes, shoe racks, etc. Just make sure that you put something inside on the floor to stop it being slippery. You can put a 'lip' on the bottom of the box to hold the nesting material inside, otherwise the pigeons will knock it all out onto the floor.

Instead of cutting a hole in the milk crate Aarron you could also install a piece of 2x4 across the open top of the crate and attach an other board on it to serve as a perch. and mount the bottom of the crate to your wall.

Something similar to this bucket only employing your milk crate.

Last edited:
i used gallon water or rinsed milk jugs, before started using small cardboard boxes and plastic totes. just put several layers on bottom then pine needles or shavings. dont use straw or moss as straw will absorb and hold moisture and breed black mold, bacteria, and mites ect, also poke or cut parents and young. moss will hold to much moisture and can rot eggs just from that and tangle babies or be eaten (usually wont hurt though if you have nothing else). usually the milke containers were too small for enough nesting material and parents to keep warm or cool enough except small roller or tumbler breeds. i just use large cheap dollar dog food bowls that have rim that wont tip or get scooted around and then if bred communally just put two nest bowls, with at least foot between them and sides of on a high board wide long enough for all nests. wall, foot of space, nest bowl, foot of space, nest bowl, foot of space, taped on cardboard partition, then foot of space nest bowl ect.. the at least foot or more is important as otherwise the young and adults may just poop all over the place and not be as easy as scraping the nest boards. the two nests is easiest and best way to maximize breeding each pair and stopping fighting, as each hen will want two nests, as she will want to lay again two weeks after first pair hatch, and then cock will take over most of parental duties of first pair of young, will hen does most of care of second pair of eggs. this is of course only if you have healthy birds and ive found a good deal of that factors on space per pair, as supposed standard breeding cage 24" x 24" for pair will burn out your birds from only one pair of young, while my cheap 36" x 30" 16" work really well and keep breeding strong until i stop them, though ideally 40" x 40" x 40" would be ideal.

the milk crates seemed to get filthy and harbor problems to much, and not keep temps and moisture right, also forgot that gallon milk jugs cut access hole in, can cut them if not taped along, and again can have moisture problems ect.

Back
Top Bottom