Help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by apra big hen, Mar 16, 2013.

1. apra big hen

apra big hen New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Hi I'm in the uk just found the FANTASTIC backyard Chickens.....
    I have just been given a silkie cockerel with the most over grown talons, so much so he can't walk, I thought he had a broken leg, he also extremely afraid, so needs lots of TLC. I would like to clip the talon back, they are growing in a really aggressive circle and I'm worried for him, will it hurt him if I cut the offending talons away?

Please reply ASAP as I have to clip him soon

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    take at least half of the spur off.

This is done by 'twisting' it at the half way point.

Have flour at the ready to help stop the bleeding if it bleeds.

if you can't twist it off, take a little bit off of the end first, then more until you see a bit of blood, then STOP!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, apra big hen, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I have no experience with trimming spurs so I'll just say good luck to you!!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] You can wrap him in a towel to steady and subdue him - just put a foot out at a time to work on. A helper would be a good idea too. I'm not sure if you want to do his spurs or toenails. with toenails you just want to take off a bit so you don't cut into the quick. It may be several sessions over time to get it to a better length.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    X 2 Great advice!

If it is his toenails, trim back gradually as you would a dog's toenails. There may be some bleeding - some sort of a styptic agent can be used to stop that. If you are talking about spurs, follow Mahonri's advice. Good luck with rehabilitating him.

7. apra big hen

apra big hen New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Thanks everyone, the spurs came off really easily, but it turned out he had scaley leg, something I've never experienced in any of my chickens as well as the worst case of red mite I'd ever seen, it was like something from a horror film,his anus was a hive that litterally exploded with insects, the poor thing was in terrible discomfort.

After clipping, lots of white parrifin, even more smite (Red Mite Treatment) which is amazing, he is now crowing, and is starting to come to me. He really escaped being made into a dinner and is a lovely chap that will help to create hopefully, lots of other little darlings. I just wish that people before they take on livestock actually knew what it was all about, I am certainly no expert, but the person who gave me Fred (The Cockeral) and his 5 other ladies got bored and turned out didnt even change their bedding, hence the red mite infestation they all had.

This forum is a brilliant place and I certainly will be staying in touch

Thanks everyone from me in the UK

xxxxxxxxxxxx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by