Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bird123, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Bird123

Bird123 New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    UK
    Hi, I am new to poultry and I was bought a trio of ducks from my parents a few months back, which I love dearly. I have decided to expand my brood and bought an incubator and put 5x Silver Appleyard eggs in it a couple of days ago.
    The temperature has stayed perfect at 37.5 degrees (which I have also confirmed with two reliable thermometers). However, I am struggling with humidity trying to keep it around 55%. I put in 100ml of water at the beginning as this is what the incubators instructions ordered, but when I came back the humidity was over 70%. Eek!
    I dried it out a bit and it made little difference. I then comletely dried out the incubator with paper towels and now the hygrometer reads 55%....
    Basically..is it okay to run the incubator with no water in it if humidity is fine? If it drops below I will place half a teaspon in.
    I have never hatched anything before and I am not exactly hoping for great results but I would at least like to give the duckies a chance! I'm mostly confused as no water and 100ml is a big difference. Thanks!

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Hi and Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

Yes, you can run the incubator without water if the humidity is correct. In certain humid places you may need to use a de humidifier to get the humidity correct for your incubator. As humidity changes from season to season you have to adjust the amount of water to maintain humidity.

I hope you have a great hatch!

3. Bird123

Bird123 New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    UK
    That's just what I wanted to hear! Thank you so much. That may have seemed like a silly question haha!

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    No, not silly at all!

Click on the link in my signature file with a lot of incubating tips.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by