1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by baker06, Sep 11, 2013.

1. baker06

baker06 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    Ohio
    My chickens just keep pecking one chicken and have it all tore up I put iodine on it but it isn't seeming to help what can I do to get them to stop??

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Blue Kote MAY work better than Iodine, but sometimes once they start pecking that badly Pinless Peepers are the only sure fire solution.

3. SquishSquash

SquishSquash Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    We use something called Rooster Booster Pick-No-More-Lotion. It seems to work pretty well for minor injuries at least.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There may be something wrong with that one chicken that the others sense. Or you may have a few bullie that need to spend a few days in chicken jail to lower their status in the pecking order.

5. baker06

Jun 30, 2013
    Ohio
    So if there is something wrong with a chicken the others will try to basically try to get "rid" of it??

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, but that doesn't mean that you don't have a bully. In my first chickens, I had a young cockerel who was the leader at a young age, crowed at 3 weeks, got along with everyone. At 5 months he developed a limp, quit crowing, became a coward, and even my banty hens started joining in with the others to peck him and chase him into hiding spots. We finally culled him at 6 months because I think he had a bad heart and we couldn't watch the bullying anymore. Sometimes the others know one is sickly.

7. baker06

Jun 30, 2013
    Ohio
    Ok well it's all hens doing it to another hen.. I just don't know what to do with it and if there is something wrong with it and they try to kill it wouldn't be right

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by