HELP!!!

plymouth bard

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
Earth
I have 2 one week old chicks and I was wondering if their tiny little body's can digest meal worms???

Last edited:
Digest what???

hide.gif

Oh sure, you can give them meal worms. If they were with a mama she would be feeding them those if they were available.

Just as a warning though, one person said on BYC that they had them try to eat each others' toes after that though (giving them to the brand new chicks) as the worms look just like their toes at that age. In case you are worried about that, you could wait until they are just a tiny bit older. I have never given them to chicks that young after reading about that, myself.

So they also need some chick grit or sand in order to digest things other than their cracked commercial grains.

Oh sure, you can give them meal worms. If they were with a mama she would be feeding them those if they were available.

Just as a warning though, one person said on BYC that they had them try to eat each others' toes after that though (giving them to the brand new chicks) as the worms look just like their toes at that age. In case you are worried about that, you could wait until they are just a tiny bit older. I have never given them to chicks that young after reading about that, myself.

So they also need some chick grit or sand in order to digest things other than their cracked commercial grains.
How do I give them grit???

You can either give them some sand or chick grit (from the feed store) sprinkled over their food like salt. At age 2 weeks they can have a pan of grit- since they should be past the danger of ingesting too much grit at that age.

I put brand new chicks on sand myself sometimes, and they do OK from my experience (don't overingest it).

However, I have given brand new chicks a pan of feed store chick grit and they ATE it. As in uh oh. So at two weeks of age they are a little more discriminate LOL from my experience. You don't want them to totally pack their crops with grit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom