Help!

I had seven hens who were two months old when I bought two small Ameraucana chicks. The seven hens were in the chicken tractor by mid- April and I added the other chicks in June. They were terrified, so I did a swap with them and put food and water both places. During the day, they stayed in the coop with food and water. When it began to get dark, I would catch them and let the bigger hens in and place the chicks in the run for the evening where they had access to food and water. I did this for about two weeks and then just opened the coop door to let them mingle. There was some scuffling to settle pecking order issues, but the chicks were fully integrated in about a week. Just give all of the birds time to get used to the full mingle time. If you are worried about them not getting food and water, you can put some in the coop for them, if you don't want to fool with separating them. When they are mingling fairly well, remove it so they are forced to go outside and be with the other birds. It worked well for me with essentially the same type of chicks, so hopefully it will work for you!

I had seven hens who were two months old when I bought two small Ameraucana chicks. The seven hens.................
Thanks you so much, @peeps61. I tried posting this in emergencies but nobody replied, so I'm very happy that I got a reply here. This helps me a lot and I'm very glad that your Ameraucanas made it fine. I've been so worried for our younger ones, as this is my first time introducing new members to a flock. I'll do exactly what you said. Thanks again.
goodpost.gif
thumbsup.gif

I am going through the same thing. It took a few days but they get a little bolder each day. They now will chance coming out in the run with the big chickens and take every chance they can to get food and water when the big chickens leave the coop for the run. It will work out. As long as there is no blood shed every thing will be ok.

In fact, one of those chicks became a rooster when "She" grew up and ran the flock before a hawk got him. I still have the hen, though, and she is best friends with the other hens.

Back
Top Bottom