help

rich0790

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 8, 2013
I inherited this 7 week old check from my neighbor. I have no idea what breed she is so if you have any ideas as to that I'd really appreciate it. My biggest concern, however is that she was raised with a friend, a rooster. He had to find a new home else where since our city code does not allow them. My 5 hens are all over a year (2 white leghorns, 2 rir and 1 bantam cochin). Right now I have her separate by herself since I didn't know if she'd be safe with the other hens. When she is alone, however, she just huddles in a corner. It doesn't look like she is eating. We got her yesterday. I just brought her outside to see if she'd get active and she perked rightup. She stays right by me but at least is pecking and scratching. What should I do? I know hens are social but since I just inherited her ( my neighbors only wanted a chick...not the chicken experience) I'm stuck. When can I introduce her to my flock and how do I get her to eat?

wee.gif
Today's your lucky day. That's an EE pullet. She probably is acting a big odd because of the stress but I'd still just leave her by herself. You don't want to stress her even more is they turn on her. Toss her some treat to make sure she is getting something in her. She might not be too keen on your brand of feed but she'll come around.

i had a batch of 2 that hung around me like that, just spend whatever time you can messing around outside and they will do their thing next to you. mine 'helped' me weed my garden lol. so far as food just offer her what you want her to learn to eat as small treats when u are with her. she will get the idea.

Hi !
frow.gif

Give her some leafy greens to munch on like kale, cabbage.
Some yogurt in a cup. You might try introducing her to
the bantam Cochin and hang around to watch. Cochin
tend to be real docile and they might decide to be buddies.
Easter Eggers lay colored eggs. Depending on their
heritage, will lay only one of these colors: brown, green,
olive or blue.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom