HELP

kbrunk

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
I have 3 Ameraucana's I'm pretty sure 2 are hens and one roo but my hens are beating up the roo. Is this normal?? & what should I do?? PLEASE HELP

Last edited:
Unfortunately it is normal for chickens to have a pecking order. The chicken on the bottom can be male or female. Sometimes they do get picked on. And it's upsetting.

If you can make sure there's a place for the rooster to hide, and always make sure he has food and water, that's about the best way to handle it. Now, if they're abusing him to the point of drawing blood or ripping out his feathers, then maybe you may need to separate him.

I have 3 Ameraucana's I'm pretty sure 2 are hens and one roo but my hens are beating up the roo. Is this normal?? & what should I do??

A little more information would be helpful in assessing the situation. What sort of enclosure are you using (if you are using one)? How much space do the birds have? When you say "beating up" - what is happening - are you just seeing chasing and light pecking or is there significant feather loss, bleeding, etc? How old are your birds? Did you get them all together or recently introduce some to the others?
On the matter of gender - post a photo of your birds and we can help you assess whether your guess of 2/1 is correct....this will come into play for any long-term plans you have for your birds.

They are in a pretty nice and big chicken coop. They had him on the ground today stomping and pecking him. His peacomb was bleeding and they are ganging up on him. They are a little over 3 month and they have all been together since birth, but they are acting like the are trying to kick him out of the pack. Could they be ready to lay already?

They are in a pretty nice and big chicken coop. They had him on the ground today stomping and pecking him. His peacomb was bleeding and they are ganging up on him. They are a little over 3 month and they have all been together since birth, but they are acting like the are trying to kick him out of the pack. Could they be ready to lay already?

What are the actual dimensions of the coop/run?
At a little over three months they are unlikely to be near the point of lay and, even if they are/were, this is not really a behavior issue associated with such in my experience to the degree to which it sounds like they have taken it.

4ft.by 8ft. Is there run. There coop is 4ft by 4ft and the coop is 4ft off the ground and there is 3 hen beds

Back
Top Bottom