Help!

kaitybug99

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 8, 2015
I have a male silver Appleyard duck. He has had a limp since he was a duckling, not born with it but it seemed to appear when he was small. Not sure exactly how old he is now, but he has gotten around fairly well for a long time....untill 2 days ago when I let him out of the coop and he was dragging himself along using his wing and beak to drag himself!
1f616.png
I put him on a small container in the house so that he can't move around too much. His whole leg is VERY swollen and I am not sure what to do... He does not seem sick he is eating drinking and pooping fine. Please give me any advice you have! I really don't want to have to put him down!
1f62d.png

Last edited:
I have a male silver Appleyard duck. He has had a limp since he was a duckling, not born with it but it seemed to appear when he was small. Not sure exactly how old he is now, but he has gotten around fairly well for a long time....untill 2 days ago when I let him out of the coop and he was dragging himself along using his wing and beak to drag himself!
1f616.png
I put him on a small container in the house so that he can't move around too much. His whole leg is VERY swollen and I am not sure what to do... He does not seem sick he is eating drinking and pooping fine. Please give me any advice you have! I really don't want to have to put him down!
1f62d.png
Could he have injured it, fallen or stepped on?did you look for cuts or splinters on the bottom of his foot? A vet would be best if you can afford on and know of one that will see ducks, in the mean time try some Warm water with Epsom salt dissolved in it 1.5 cups to 1 gal. you can put this into a dish pan then place your duck in so he is soaking his leg or stand him in a bucket and soak his legs this way. Epsom salt is good for inflammation and may help but you might also have to consider a n oral antibiotic, Give us more info please. Don't let him drink the water with ES in it it is also a laxative.

Well like I said, he has had a limp since he was a duckling, there is no sign of any kind of injury justs a lot of swelling. I will definantly try the Epsom salt though! He seems to be getting very weak. He is sleeping a lot:( in hoping that being inside and not trying to use his leg will help. I will just have to call around and find a vet that will take him for I do not currently know of one:/ but thank you very much for the reply and tips! He is currently in the living room keeping warm by the wood stove:) I am thankful that he is very sweet and calm letting us care for him. I think he understands were trying to help.

Last edited:
Well like I said, he has had a limp since he was a duckling, there is no sign of any kind of injury justs a lot of swelling. I will definantly try the Epsom salt though! He seems to be getting very weak. He is sleeping a lot:( in hoping that being inside and not trying to use his leg will help. I will just have to call around and find a vet that will take him for I do not currently know of one:/ but thank you very much for the reply and tips! He is currently in the living room keeping warm by the wood stove:) I am thankful that he is very sweet and calm letting us care for him. I think he understands were trying to help.
If an infection internally which possibly is why the leg is so swollen he needs to get on an antibiotic and or see a vet an infection that goes septic can take them out pretty fast. . I'm going to ask casportpony to read your thread, she has alot of knowledge about meds. He sure is a handsome boy.

Thank you miss Lydia for your help! The Epsom salt did help relax his foot a bit I am going to keep doing that untill I can find an vet that will help him. I hope he pulls through. Do you know anything about using terra vet 10 for ducks? Becouse I do have that!

Thank you miss Lydia for your help! The Epsom salt did help relax his foot a bit I am going to keep doing that untill I can find an vet that will help him. I hope he pulls through. Do you know anything about using terra vet 10 for ducks? Becouse I do have that!
I believe it's safe to use but you'll need to research dosage since I don't have it . I'm glad to hear the soaks helped if you can do this at least 2x a day. I hope casportpony will say for sure before you give him any.

Back
Top Bottom