Help

Jeshurun

Hatching
Mar 20, 2015
I got this Welsh Harlequin from Metzers thursday so she's 5 days old and just an hour ago I picked her up and noticed her bottom is all matted and wet with hair missing. Here's a picture:

I tired wiping it and put some baby powder on it but it's not doing anything. Any ideas on what to do and if this is fatal?

I got this Welsh Harlequin from Metzers thursday so she's 5 days old and just an hour ago I picked her up and noticed her bottom is all matted and wet with hair missing. Here's a picture:

I tired wiping it and put some baby powder on it but it's not doing anything. Any ideas on what to do and if this is fatal?
How is she doing other wise/ and is she in with other ducklings? what are you feeding and what is the temp in your brooder? do you know if she is pooping? If she isn't acting sick i really doubt this is something serious. Have you had them in the tub yet. I'd put a small amount of water in the tub nice and warm and let her float around and clean herself real good and watch to see if she poops usually when they get in warm water that is the first thing they do. Let her get good and clean then take a better pic these 2 we can't see a thing even making it bigger. Tell us exactly what it is your seeing. as far as her bottom being wet could she have gotten into the water in the brooder? and I wouldn't use baby powder on a duckling.Always stay with ducklings when in water they tire easily and can drown. Be sure to towel dry patting her feathers then right back into brooder to finish drying.

Last edited:

It looks like some kind of sore but I'm not sure. Put her in the tub and she just sat there while the others swam around. She is definitely acting sick and is always 'chirping' like she's in pain perhaps. And no I haven't seen her poop. Somethings wrong just trying to figure out what.

Its puss coming from her vent and its left her weak and I imagine it hurts hence the constant chirping. I would guess its some kind of infection. Anyone else have experience with this?

I don't have experience with it, but I would rinse the vent area with mild saline solution and put some antibiotic ointment or cream on the vent and dab it so a little goes into the vent.

If there is a cyst blocking the vent, that is serious - I would get a vet's help if at all possible. Seems to me that it would need to be drained so that the little one can poop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom