helped chick hatch... just wondering

therandomhatcher

Chirping
Apr 2, 2021
I hatched silkies and this morning I noticed two that have been pipped for 2-3 days. I peeled back a little shell and noticed they were severely shrink-wrapped. The membrane was almost as thick as goose skin. I helped them both out. Is it possible they will survive? I am usually against helping them hatch but they haven't progressed for a couple of days, so I thought it was necessary.

I hatched silkies and this morning I noticed two that have been pipped for 2-3 days. I peeled back a little shell and noticed they were severely shrink-wrapped. The membrane was almost as thick as goose skin. I helped them both out. Is it possible they will survive? I am usually against helping them hatch but they haven't progressed for a couple of days, so I thought it was necessary.
They might but they could go into FTT (Failure to thrive) so watch them carefully.

Absolutely, given they were ready to come out. Meaning if they had already absorbed the yolk sacs and blood veins. Normally you don't necessarily have to help them out, you just need to help break the shell and tear the membrane enough where they can kick themselves out when ready. How are they doing? Are their yolk sacs absorb ok?

Back
Top Bottom