Helped hatching and worried

lindz13579

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2023
Good morning,
I have been hatching ducklings in the classroom for years now. Today I came in and my duckling didn’t make a lot of progress hatching after 48 hrs of external piping. I helped (first time ever and panicked). Does he look ok? He was breathing fine, chirping, I didn’t see yolk sac and no blood. He seemed tired though. I had to leave since we’re remote (I’m in New York which also made me nervous with the air quality) and will go back to check up on him tomorrow. My anxiety is really high and I know many say don’t help. Please be kind.
IMG_2674.jpeg

Last edited:
Good morning,
I have been hatching ducklings in the classroom for years now. Today I came in and my duckling didn’t make a lot of progress hatching after 48 hrs of external piping. I helped (first time ever and panicked). Does he look ok? He was breathing fine, chirping, I didn’t see yolk sac and no blood. He seemed tired though. I had to leave since we’re remote (I’m in New York which also made me nervous with the air quality) and will go back to check up on him tomorrow. My anxiety is really high and I know many say don’t help. Please be kind.View attachment 3535018
You did the right thing
He may have had a foot over the head preventing him from fully getting out himself
Often when they need help they take a bit longer to perk up
I help any that are trying to hatch but got stuck turning
Maybe the egg was a bit small but baby is perfectly healthy
I have my first assisted one I kept and he is 1.5 years old and never had a single health issue.
Leader of my pack :)
If tomorrow baby is not up running around yoy could try a little sugar water or Nutridrench to give baby a boost

You did the right thing
He may have had a foot over the head preventing him from fully getting out himself
Often when they need help they take a bit longer to perk up
I help any that are trying to hatch but got stuck turning
Maybe the egg was a bit small but baby is perfectly healthy
I have my first assisted one I kept and he is 1.5 years old and never had a single health issue.
Leader of my pack :)
If tomorrow baby is not up running around yoy could try a little sugar water or Nutridrench to give baby a boost
Thank you for your response! Not knowing is killing me. Praying for the best result. I got some sugar water ready just in case.

Let us know how the little is doing🙏
So I went to get the baby! He/ she is doing great. He/she has a little hard spot on tummy. I’m assuming that’s normal and from the yolk sac. He/she has eaten and drank some and pooped a few times!

Attachments

• 70809166154__05F75E0C-3997-4D91-9E64-86EE0CEDD5D1.jpeg
    70809166154__05F75E0C-3997-4D91-9E64-86EE0CEDD5D1.jpeg
    319.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2678.jpeg
    IMG_2678.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom