helpeggshell

chickalit

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 13, 2009
I am relatively new here so please bear with me. I have a barred rock who has been sitting on four eggs for nearly four weeks. we cannot see anything when we raise the eggs to the light - no matter what light we use. she gets off every couple of days to eat and drink. what do we do with the eggs now that three weeks has come and gone and HOW do we remove all the eggs without upsetting her? yes we have a rooster though we're not 100% sure they're fertile eggs.
thank you!

if they are clear with any light they are not fertile as soon as you can replace the eggs. This is how to do it. once you get 4 fertile eggs (you need a rooster for this). sneak in at night and take the ones on the nest and put the new ones in. and then in another 21 days you have chicks! you should also have the food and sugar water right in front of her to where she can get out of the nest but shouldnt have to get up to eat and drink.

Last edited:
I am relatively new here so please bear with me. I have a barred rock who has been sitting on four eggs for nearly four weeks. we cannot see anything when we raise the eggs to the light - no matter what light we use. she gets off every couple of days to eat and drink. what do we do with the eggs now that three weeks has come and gone and HOW do we remove all the eggs without upsetting her? yes we have a rooster though we're not 100% sure they're fertile eggs.
thank you!
It kind of depends on if you want to keep her broody and try to hatch or if you want to "bust" her broodiness. Being broody is hard on the hen as she doesn't move much, or eat or drink well so keeping her broody past a normal hatch time can be hard on her.

I personally would go ahead and take the eggs and throw them away. You could do an "egg"topsy if you wanted to see if anything developed but that can be smelly. I would then ancourage her to break her broodiness by taking her out of the nest several times a day and placing her away from the nest and near food and water. If that doesn't encourage her to stop sitting you can put her in a wire cage up on blocks so air flows on her belly and she can't keep her belly "warm".

If you want her to keep sitting and try to hatch, you can collect any eggs from other chickens or buy some that may be fertile and replace the old ones.

best of luck on your choice.

thank you!
you have given me hope of getting my barred rock broody!

thank you all so much for your help!! I will remove the eggs tomorrow and move her to the food and water as often as I can.

Back
Top Bottom