"Helpers" that aren't allowed to help

bt03

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Over the rainbow...
When it comes to my "hobby" of keeping chickens and ducks my husband is awesome as a helper. He has built me 3 coops, one baby brooder box and fences to keep them all where they need to be and even a couple of feeders. Without him they would all be sleeping in the trees outside my front door. I am so lucky and greatfull that I have him to help me and that he understands my quirky side.

Today my husband got to work from home so that someone could be there when satellite guy came to hook everything up. I thought yay, I can take a bit more time getting ready in the morning and maybe get my hair to cooperate (
lau.gif
Good joke there) and he can feed everyone for me. I now remember why I don't let him feed them and only do the technical stuff. The first thing he does is try to give my babies layer feed! All the buckets are labeled and mixed to have just what everyone needs to be happy and healthy. The ducklings have a starter finisher mixture (weaning off the starter), the ducks have a straight finisher mix that is specifically for ducks, the chickens have a layer that is spiked with a starter for the molters & the chicks have a chick finisher. When I went to check everyone they all had the wrong feeds in their dishes
idunno.gif
I got them all switched back and asked what happened "they are all birds and they all eat the same thing eventually "
th.gif
And my hair is a mess today but I can just blame it on the wind
lau.gif
gig.gif

Who else has great helpers that aren't allowed to help?

I so know what you mean! My husband came in from outside one evening and said that he put the peeps to bed. I said, "What?! HOW did you put the peeps to bed?" I mean, I have a ritual that I go through and it takes some time. He told me that he closed the pop door and closed up the run. I asked him if he did a head count, and talk to them before shutting them in. He said no.
th.gif
So I had to go out there, open the people door, count butts, say a few words, do the same over in the brooder and apologized to all peeps that it won't happen again. I told my hubby that hey - you have your goats, I have my peeps, you take care of the goats and I will take care of my peeps.
smack.gif

4H DD & I are the only ones who work with the peeps. If we are stuck somewhere and have to call home for someone to do something with them, it usually gets messed up somehow
barnie.gif

Although, I did count a brick on the ground as our special needs chicken one night and he ended up outside in a thunderstorm all night -- oops! DH found him in the AM when he came home from work. He came in and "told" me, but I was still half asleep, & thought he was talking about some guy named Ducky at work who had a bad night, got all wet, couldn't find anywhere to stay dry. . . .
hide.gif

Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you again. I can not wait to show this to my DH tonight. He has tried to put up my babies and let them out in the morning.. Chickens, chicks, guinea's and goats. He does not do it like I do. Especially at night. He tells me I put everyone up. I ask did you count them, make sure everyone is on their roosts, locks on doors and cinder blocks against all doors. Nope why?
smack.gif
So I end up going out and telling everyone goodnight and making sure everyone is there and locked up good and tight.
tongue.gif
He means well but I do not let him or my DS do it anymore. They can feed the dogs and cats. Oh and themselves.
lau.gif
He tells me I am crazy and OCD about them.

That is why the chickens end up inside the play room every night! I have 2 bantams that love to come through the doggy door so I scoop them up and take them to their special roost bar. They are the chicken buddies and must be together, but hubby thinks they do just fine apart
hmm.png
He is bearly allowed to feed the dog and cats because they all end up eating the same thing even though dog food is horrible for cats. As for feeding himself... well that is why we have a microwave and I make sure there are leftovers (that are oddly always cold still
lau.gif
)

Quote:
Wow! I am so glad I am not the only one with OCD with my chickens! Nobody can take care of my peeps like I can! And I am the one that gets rewarded! They come to me for treats, and to be held. My husband is always telling me how cool his goats are and my words to him are "But can they lay eggs?" Nothing is cooler than my chickies!
love.gif

Well, my helper is my 6-year-old son...he likes to take it upon himself to 'help' feed the critters sometimes. This morning was one of his 'helper' days...he came in to tell me that he fed almost all the chickens and he gave them the doves' food
th.gif
Granted, the doves get bird seed (milo, millet, wheat, sunflowers), so it won't hurt the other birds....BUT the doves' food costs $12.50 for 50# when the chickens' feed costs $19 for 100#. So his helping cost me a bit extra on the upcoming feed bill since I'll have to buy more bird seed AGAIN when I just got it yesterday and it should have lasted them a month
sad.png

I am forced to rely on DH for help with my chickens from time to time and I can't stand it.

I am very set in my ways and that includes how the animals are cared for. DH just don't get that there's more to taking care of my babies than feeding and locking them up. He doesn't even wish them sweet dreams for goodness sake!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom