PS. DH has proposed a vent in the pop door. We used to leave it open 24/7 to a hardened run but we won't have that constructed for a good while. Thoughts?
I think vents are best situated under the eaves, high up, to let warm, wet air to rise up and out.

Looking at the structure of my little, monitor roof coop and considering the repairs/alterations to put it back into use.

I don't think I can lower the nestboxes, because my DH over-engineers everything* and made the mount so solid that replacing it is impractical. But I think I might reduce to two boxes, or even just one, and add a low-level window with top hinged panel for additional ventilation since this property has less shade available than the previous situation. (Note: I measured and the monitor roof provides 4 square feet of ventilation for the 4'x4' coop even with the pop door closed). This proposed window would be below the roost but as far from it as possible -- diagonally opposite the pop door.

If I intend to use it as a broody facility in the future would two boxes be a problem? (And, incidentally, could two broodies be placed in the same facility in two separate, but side-by-side boxes?)

*Over-engineering is a family trait. My late Brother-in-Law was an engineer for the Atlanta airport and we always joked that you could land a helicopter on his deck. My own father thought of anything expected to last less than 50 years as a temporary make-do and expressed disgust at the idea of building anything that would just have to be re-done in a decade or two. Even the 14yo's Lego structures are reinforced so that they can be carried and moved. 🤣
Mine like to all cram in one box. I have four broody bantams in one box.

20200530_104828[1].jpg

2x4 mounting boards where the hinges will attach to.

20200530_104858[1].jpg

close up of the "foot" where the edge of the floor will rest on.

20200530_142651[1].jpg

section 1 of 2 floor panels in place hinged in the up position. the brace is temporary.

I will put concrete landing pads at the corners when I let the floor hinge down.

I decided to utilize the space under the roof and make a small green house.
just 12 feet wide and 3 feet deep and 7 feet tall
I finished the floor this morning, started at 6AM to beat the rain at 8AM. 9:20AM and no rain yet, but it is coming.
20200601_091010[1].jpg

I installed the right hand section this morning. It also hinges up like the one at the left.

20200601_091317[1].jpg

this is where the green house is going. under the awning roof I just built.
the front will be five removable panels and both floor flipped up for winter storage.
It will make plowing snow away from the building easier..
///////jiminwisc/////

Back
Top Bottom