I'm glad the rooster is OK.
Nice car.. don't park it under any trees.
Today we got up to 40F. the snow is slowly sliding to the edge of the roof on the chicken coop.
.......jiminwisc.......
Our whole property has trees. The area near the garage seemed safe at the time.:idunno

06F9751C-A1CF-4913-A53B-BD6E2C342475.jpeg

4F640B59-4BA6-4204-B0EB-DEAA63928E25.jpeg 7B1F2A17-C9C4-4E17-AF07-598A6AE7559D.jpeg

All the pictures are turned sideways and I don’t see where to turn them. Sorry!

The current coop.. no place for a sleeping perch away from nesting area, but they.. err, she, was pretty good about sleeping to the front right side away from the nest which is in the far back left. I say ‘was’ because Pennie stopped laying and only Hennie continued through the cold winter days. They both slept away from the nesting area. Unfortunately, I lost Hennie to a possum on Monday 😢

Anyways, I cannot reach anything in the bottom of the coop unless I use a rake. The door is a small cabinet door and although I’m small I cannot go any farther than my waist.

I’m thinking of making a nesting box on the back near the current nest. At least then I wouldn’t have to open the entire front side to get to the eggs and rip my coat on the screws reaching for them.

I have a fence along the back, but thinking about using some of that wood for the coop/run. Wish I knew someone with wood just laying around. 😆 Like someone with a few broken down coops or torn down shed. Alas, I do not. *sigh*

View attachment 2544050

View attachment 2544055View attachment 2544056

The current coop.. no place for a sleeping perch away from nesting area, but they.. err, she, was pretty good about sleeping to the front right side away from the nest which is in the far back left. I say ‘was’ because Pennie stopped laying and only Hennie continued through the cold winter days. They both slept away from the nesting area. Unfortunately, I lost Hennie to a possum on Monday 😢

Anyways, I cannot reach anything in the bottom of the coop unless I use a rake. The door is a small cabinet door and although I’m small I cannot go any farther than my waist.

I’m thinking of making a nesting box on the back near the current nest. At least then I wouldn’t have to open the entire front side to get to the eggs and rip my coat on the screws reaching for them.

I have a fence along the back, but thinking about using some of that wood for the coop/run. Wish I knew someone with wood just laying around. 😆 Like someone with a few broken down coops or torn down shed. Alas, I do not. *sigh*

Can you find a source of pallets?

It's possible to be fairly creative making pallet coops.

Can you find a source of pallets?

It's possible to be fairly creative making pallet coops.
I have thought of pallets, but aren’t there some pallets that are not good to use. I know when you have crafts and they are indoor crafts, only use pallets that have been treated due to bugs.

Thanks for the reminder though!! 😁 Might have to look around. Our spot that had loads has been cleaned up along with their little shed that sat by the train tracks.

View attachment 2544050

View attachment 2544055View attachment 2544056

Sometimes you can get free pallets. Or wooden packing crates. I made a run out of pallets, and two coops from packing crates. You need to not use chicken wire, predators can reach in or rip their way in.

Back
Top Bottom