The thing is, you may have to stop free ranging and then they will have to spend all their time in the coop. It is better to build big than to rip it spart and add on later, IMO.
I get what you're saying but I would not stop free ranging, there's no reason for me to ever do that. Nor would I have to tear down to add on due to making it a 8x8 square if added on would just be a matter of cutting a walk thru are in outside wall and adding additional space, but yes I agree if you had a design that didn't allow for expansion as big as you can reasonably go is best. Thank for all the input and info

I get what you're saying but I would not stop free ranging, there's no reason for me to ever do that. Nor would I have to tear down to add on due to making it a 8x8 square if added on would just be a matter of cutting a walk thru are in outside wall and adding additional space, but yes I agree if you had a design that didn't allow for expansion as big as you can reasonably go is best. Thank for all the input and info
You would not stop free ranging if predators started taking one daily!? They will do that.

You would not stop free ranging if predators started taking one daily!? They will do that.
Actually, electrifying the perimeter of your property cuts down on ground predators and so does a 22 rifle, so I would be more likely to lose from Hawks than anything and since most of those stick to open hay fields around me to hunt and I have plenty of places for them to avoid air predators and early warning from my roos and guineas to be honest I would be out waiting and killing coyotes or Coons etc that come on my property due to other livestock too. So picking them off for very long would not happen as they're locked in at night when majority of predators around my place are out. And, honestly losing a few along the line is price you pay to free range. Not to sound cold, but it is a fact if you truly free range long enough you will lose some eventually. You can only do best you can and be pro active to prevent significant loss to predators. I would probably discontinue keeping a flock before I had them locked in constantly, but that's just me.

Yes and No. we lost about half of a new flock and a yorky over 4 attacks this spring. We added 2 more geese to make 4. And 2 lgd. Flokie and molley. At @9months and 7 months old now I have not had anything get close to the house all summer. They patrol, and bark all night occasionally bring back stuff to chew on. Only down side maybe less sightings of deer out behind the house.
So we plan to add one more ldg. and not build a run for the hen house. Instead let them free range at will. And what there are use to is way more than 400sq ft. We fell they would not be as health or happy enclosed to that area next to the coop. We also have excepted there may be a loss ever now and then.
Hopefully not to far off track..
Scott

I quit free ranging birds in TN because despite our LSG we had too many predators. Foxes would pick off a hen a day in broad daylight! Hawks would break windows to get into coops. I just got tired of finding piles of feathers and parts of birds. Even vultures killed 2 pol pullets and ate them! I do not know how it will be here for free ranging. I know there are hawks and vultures, and the neighbors say there are lots of coyotes. There are bears. I am going to try free ranging the EE and the guineas when they get bigger.

I may change my mind some day as we have all those predators here in SW MO. But just the other day Samantha confirmed a run was not in the works. I told her we could easily use up the 2 rolls of hardwire building a run for the silkies new coops in the works and then breeder cages for some that are soon to come.
Scott

Btw most of our losses here were at day break to @10am. Only one of them was @10pm.

good afternoon,
still having internet troubles.
the tech who is supposed to show up today is still not here.
If they send the same one as last time, I am going to hit the roof.

I am really curious. two of you mentioned LGD's,
what breed are they ?
I have a pair of Maremma LGD ,
our birds range all over 40+ acres,
we are bordered on the east and north by a river. and there are hundreds of acres of woods beyond the river to the norgh.
we have a bear , foxes, coons and despite the wolves, there are also coyotes.
we have not lost a bird to a pred in 8 years.

......jiminwisc......

I watch the geese(4 Toulouse) start honking at some of ur brainless chicken when they wandered too far out in the fields. Once the alerted the dogs (sleeping cause there up all night) then the dogs came over to lay between the chicken and the open field to the woods ( national forest).
Scott

Back
Top Bottom