We started with 2 pallets as a base. Added legs so it was at a comfortable height to clean, then built around it from there! Plywood floor (over the pallets), plywood walls with windows, and roof of plywood with roofing shingled. We covered the windows with real good small wire so it is super safe and added a real big door on the back so we can open it up and rake it all out. Easy to clean is awesome!

We started with 2 pallets as a base. Added legs so it was at a comfortable height to clean, then built around it from there! Plywood floor (over the pallets), plywood walls with windows, and roof of plywood with roofing shingled. We covered the windows with real good small wire so it is super safe and added a real big door on the back so we can open it up and rake it all out. Easy to clean is awesome!
Sounds good, do you have a picture?

My guineas and chickens have not found the feeder yet. What a dumb bunch! I may have to put it down closer to the ground. I ended up putting a pan of food in the run so at least if they spill it they can pick it up off the ground, unlike what they did in the tractor.

Sounds good, do you have a picture?
20160410_143046.jpg
1459722753244.jpg
1460332697047.jpg
1466550554817.jpg

Here are some pictures we took as we built. We got everything free, so it was interesting to come up with ideas! The zigzag pieces are in front at the top. They were stair frame pieces. We put them together with a gap and put wire in the opening for ventilation. The long skinny window is up high and the door below opens to the nest boxes. We used dish tubs from Target. We cut the fronts down so they are easy for the girls to get in & out of. We also built a cover with dividers for it, They can jump on top to get on the perch, and it gives them some privacy. We replaced the dowel roost with a 2x4 which they prefer. I wish I had more pictures, but my phone died, so I can't get pictures to my computer at the moment.

Sound well thought out. I am tinkering with a raised coop design. I will remember to not put the floor to high otherwise Samantha wont be able to clean it easily and I'll have to do it. lol
No really that is smart with a raise coop or any to think ahead about the function.
Scott

I worked on planting potted plants and planting a few things in the garden today. My silly guineas still have not figured out how to get into the coop. I have things to finish up my coop but i have let other things go for quite a while so maybe i will work on finishing the coop on alternate days.

Went out last night about midnight and put my chicks in the coop. It was below 60 and i was worried they might die if the light went out. Cutting plywood by flaslight, how romantic! I made the divider 1/4 " too long. Any way they should be safe and warm.

Back
Top Bottom