Cute! What kind of chickens do you have?
I have a dozen each of Speckled Sussex and Polish. The Sussex have way too many Speckles already for my liking but they seem calm and fairly friendly. I have not been picking them up lately like i was every day when they were smaller.

I have a dozen each of Speckled Sussex and Polish. The Sussex have way too many Speckles already for my liking but they seem calm and fairly friendly. I have not been picking them up lately like i was every day when they were smaller.
My EE chickens seemed to change tremendously at around 3 or 4 months of age. The others didn't change a lot, but they are all solid colors.

I have 2 EE pullets, i think, they live with my guineas. The guineas are supposed to follow them back to the coop but they were not raised together so i don't know. Any way i set up a milk crate for the pullets, the bigger one seems old enough but no eggs yet. The guineas ripped out all the hay and ate it! And knocked over the crate. Crazy guineas. Now they are getting up on top of their run and yelling. Oh lord, just go eat some bugs you silly things!

100_1060[1].JPG
when we moved onto this property, there was not a single tree on the place.
the large oak tree in the background of the top picture grew out of a pile of leaves we dumped back there.
I should send some pictures of all of our trees.

100_1059[1].JPG

I finished putting up the 6 sets of rafters.
here is a hint for you younger people:
do all of your ladder climbing before you are 75 years old. I found muscles and joints I didn't know I had..

Got a question for everyone. What is best way to transition my ladies into using nest boxes in new coop? One did lay their egg in there early this morning before they were let out to free range. I do have dummy eggs in them, but as soon as all were out they rushed to old small coop to try n get in to lay. It was sorta comical. Like a bunch of girls doing the pee dance in line for restroom...lol. I felt bad so I opened it up and let them go in as I didn't want them to go lay them in the yard. Especially, since I have an ornery RIR that has a tendency to eat them outside the nests. So, should I just keep the old one closed up and let em figure it out or is there a recommended way to transition? I could also take nest boxes off of old coop and incorporate them into new one if y'all think it would help. I am keeping old small coop for any new birds or quarantine etc..

IMG_20171001_174824_-532812602.jpg
IMG_20171001_175147_427845787.jpg
still have work to do on inside, roof covering with overhang and drip edge. All roosts come out easily for changing out and cleaning. And windows beside door close up for extreme weather. Made of all recycled and scrap decking and lumber except 7 2x4s so only spent 30 bux so far.

Back
Top Bottom