I would keep them confined to the new coop for a week or so.
Hopefully it's big enough and/or has run attached.
That would be my suggestion as well.
Since you don't have a run try keeping them in for 2 days or at least until most of them have laid each day. I would keep the other coop closed.

So today we got all the run panels attached and started to work on the roof. Husband helped so we had lots of discussions on how to do everything. Got about 1/3 of the roof done, i need another 2x4x10 due to a change of plans. But i am happy to see progress.

Is the coop large enough that they can stay in it for a least a couple of days? That will ensure that they know that's home and should return there to nest. I would suggest closing the other coop for now.

That would be my suggestion as well.
Since you don't have a run try keeping them in for 2 days or at least until most of them have laid each day. I would keep the other coop closed.
I could close em up for couple days, but wouldn't want them to stay in for couple weeks since they're used to being out all day, everyday..I have closed the other coop and will keep it closed. Thinking that I will keep them in for 2 days and then let em out mid day for next few days after that and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice guys.

View attachment 1149980 View attachment 1149981 still have work to do on inside, roof covering with overhang and drip edge. All roosts come out easily for changing out and cleaning. And windows beside door close up for extreme weather. Made of all recycled and scrap decking and lumber except 7 2x4s so only spent 30 bux so far.
How long are those roosts...and how far apart and from front of coop?
You have 15 birds that are going to live in here?

Is the platform in back the 'nest'?

Wait is the 'the new coop'?
I would keep them confined to the new coop for a week or so.
Hopefully it's big enough and/or has run attached.

Last edited:
I don't know what I will get done today.
I just checked the radar. looks like a lot of rain on the way.
that coop is plenty big enough for just 15 chickens. If they don't all fit on the roosts they can perch on top of the nest boxes. some will do that anyway..

yesterday I got one of the sub fascia boards on.
after I had it on the first time, that's right,
the first time.
I had to take it off. why ? because I had the ladder straddling a rafter. couldn't get the ladder out without removing the fascia.
sort of like painting yourself into a corner type of mistake. funny now, but not just then..

.....jiminwisc.......

I don't know what I will get done today.
I just checked the radar. looks like a lot of rain on the way.
that coop is plenty big enough for just 15 chickens. If they don't all fit on the roosts they can perch on top of the nest boxes. some will do that anyway..

yesterday I got one of the sub fascia boards on.
after I had it on the first time, that's right,
the first time.
I had to take it off. why ? because I had the ladder straddling a rafter. couldn't get the ladder out without removing the fascia.
sort of like painting yourself into a corner type of mistake. funny now, but not just then..

.....jiminwisc.......
Been there, done that . Makes you glad you used screws. Most of what i have to redo is when husband gets his ideas into the mix. They sound good in theory but don't work well.

Been there, done that . Makes you glad you used screws. Most of what i have to redo is when husband gets his ideas into the mix. They sound good in theory but don't work well.

yep, add screws to the WD40 and Duct tape
list..

I was outside for a few minutes. it hardly pays to get the electric tools plugged in.
it is not raining too hard, but the big part of the radar is just about upon us.
It is a slow moving front. so I think there will be no sunshine until mid afternoon.

I took out one of the temporary braces.
I have the come along hooked onto the top plate and to the tractor bucket.

.......jiminwisc......

How long are those roosts...and how far apart and from front of coop?
You have 15 birds that are going to live in here?

Is the platform in back the 'nest'?

Wait is the 'the new coop'?[/
Not finished yet but yes is new coop.
The roosts in middle are 4.5 ft. There are also 2 other 7 ft roosts along side not in pic. It's a ripped down piece of plywood lil over foot deep. It's what my 2 guineas like better than an actual roost, not sure why..and the front roost was just over 2 ft from front, but has since been removed and so now there's only 2 of the 4.5 ft ones the front one is 3ft 10in from front and 2 7 ft ones. Nest boxes are under windows on each side and adding another 3 on back wall under the plyboard, which will pop out back for easy access. And still have roof covering and metal for roof/overhang

Back
Top Bottom