Won't skunks eat a nest they can reach like that? Maybe you'll get lucky.
Really?! I hope this is true!
We've had big huge round papery wasps nests. We wait till dark to spray them. The nests are very cool for donating to a school for teaching purposes and but you need to be sure they are totally vacated! :oops:

Won't skunks eat a nest they can reach like that? Maybe you'll get lucky.
Have had one cleaned up by what I think was skunk(only because I've read that they will do that).....that was after I drenched it with 5 gals of hot water just before dawn, couple days later it was all dug up.

Have had one cleaned up by what I think was skunk(only because I've read that they will do that).....that was after I drenched it with 5 gals of hot water just before dawn, couple days later it was all dug up.
We probably read the same source. :) "Grinning like a skunk eating bumble bees." was what my mom used to say.

Next trip to the new place I'll try and bring the last of the plants in pots then as long as the weather stays reasonable I might be able to stay at least a week. Sure hope so, it's weird camping in my own empty house like a squatter.

I was staying away from those 2 coops due to hornets as much as possible, and tonight I went to collect eggs after dark. I couldn't find one of the hens! Looked inside and out. No hen. Then I looked in a small space behind the nest box that sits on the floor( they are mostly too lazy to get up in the high nest. There she was, unable to get out! Poor thing, all over heated! Got her out and she went straight to the water. I left a light on for her so she could eat, and went back to the house in the dark. Hope she will be ok.

I was staying away from those 2 coops due to hornets as much as possible, and tonight I went to collect eggs after dark. I couldn't find one of the hens! Looked inside and out. No hen. Then I looked in a small space behind the nest box that sits on the floor( they are mostly too lazy to get up in the high nest. There she was, unable to get out! Poor thing, all over heated! Got her out and she went straight to the water. I left a light on for her so she could eat, and went back to the house in the dark. Hope she will be ok.

Poor thing :(

I'm glad you found her. I hope she's none the worse for wear:fl

Years ago in the dead of winter, a hen went missing. Twas a great mystery because she was in the Ft Knox coop. nothing goes in, nothing goes out. After about 3 days I was moving the waterer. there was a concrete block under it to keep it off the floor. I found that hen inside one of the big holes in that block. her feathers were frozen to the block.
I thawed her out and pulled her loose. she was nothing but feathers on bone. Put her in a warm place and within a day she was acting normal. after a week she was hard to pick out from the rest of the chickens.
.......jiminwisc......

Back
Top Bottom