I am thinking the I-beam might have a slight twist in it. maybe the cleats will sort of straighten it a bit .. Although I cut all the legs using a stop block on the chop saw, the horses are not exactly the same height. splaying the legs or pulling them in will fix that slight problem.
the difference is about 1/4"..
there is always slight differences in lumber dimensions. that can cause problems that need tweaking..

yes, I have made a few of them.
what kind of material are you cutting out ?
plywood? lap siding ?
I have used the cut-out piece to make the door.
after all it is exactly the right size. It might need a little reinforcing.
put hinges at the top and it should swing up and open just right..

yes, I have made a few of them.
what kind of material are you cutting out ?
plywood? lap siding ?
I have used the cut-out piece to make the door.
after all it is exactly the right size. It might need a little reinforcing.
put hinges at the top and it should swing up and open just right..

I am cutting vertical boards. I think Pine. There is no siding on the coop thankfully. I was thinking of either putting in a flap or maybe a vertical sliding door with a gravity lock to make it easier. There are so many options!

I am cutting vertical boards. I think Pine. There is no siding on the coop thankfully. I was thinking of either putting in a flap or maybe a vertical sliding door with a gravity lock to make it easier. There are so many options!
Pics inside and out of coop would help immensely here.

good morning,
Cappy, take it easy in that heat.. I run to the house when it gets to the mid 70's..
today I am putting on my plumber's hat. have to go buy a Watts coupler.
these horses cost me just under $10.oo/each.
including construction screws.
they take five 2x4x8' .. and 48 3 1/8"" construction screws. do not use drywall screws. they are brittle and will break in half.
I am going to add some cleats on the legs to reinforce them and keep the legs from splaying . not that they will, but a little insurance is ok. I will put the cleats at the same height so that I can lie a plank from one to the other for a lower work platform, Or for a bench to rest myself on.
I will make the cleats out of some 1'' red oak that I have plenty of..
One of these doesn't sit square on the floor.
but when I sit on it, it settles down.
If I build another set, I will joint the lumber and plane it ..
my one and only cherry tomato is barely tall enough to reach up to the handle on the 5 gallon bucket it is in. It has two bunches of tomatoes. each bunch has more than 15 tomatoes. I didn't count, just an estimate.
Boots, how was the perch fish fry?
.....jiminwisc......
I didn't know you had horses Jim!

Did anyone notice the wood on the sides of my shed?
20200629_142601.jpg

Any guesses on why they are there?

I tried a vertical sliding door once. to make it air tight in the winter, it had to be close tolerance. then the close tolerance cause it to stick when it got humid in the summer time and the wood swelled up.
make it easy on yourself, put hinges on it.
I made mine to swing up , and I raise it with a rope and pulley from outside the fence..
I added a counterbalance to make the door close tight .
you could make the door jamb out of plumb
protruding out at the bottom so the door closes at sort of a downward motion instead of hanging vertically; which never closes tightly on it's own.

Back
Top Bottom