Well I'm in Lakeland, FL right now, visiting relatives, but back at my place in WY there are no trees except a few Junipers and Ponderosa Pines down in the draw. I'm also 45 miles from Douglas and 2 hours from the nearest HD or Menards so building stuff is a logistics nightmare. I heard somewhere the beetle infestation in Canada has caused over-harvesting which resulted in a lumber shortage. The recent hurricanes and forest fires are also to blame.

I'm over in SWLA where we got the double tap from Laura then Delta. I was lucky enough to buy the wood for my privacy fence when prices dipped in December. It was about $3000 for 335ft all 6' treated pine.

I really want to build a new coop but will hold off for a while with prices being the way they are. The wife also has an opinion on the matter haha

I'm over in SWLA where we got the double tap from Laura then Delta. I was lucky enough to buy the wood for my privacy fence when prices dipped in December. It was about $3000 for 335ft all 6' treated pine.

I really want to build a new coop but will hold off for a while with prices being the way they are. The wife also has an opinion on the matter haha
I'm just going to buy the stuff I need and get it done. No gaurantee prices will ever go down. Builders in California are really getting hammered.

T20s are $#!+. If the screw will take a T25, use it. and the little bits that come with the package of screws? Good for maybe half a pound of screws before they start wearing round and stripping screws. The longer your screw, the faster they strip.

A $5 investment in one of those carded multi-packs from a major Mfg - DeWalt, Ryobi, Milwaukee, etc is absolutely worth it. That said, I don't like the new DeWalt stuff. The old stuff used to have a safety yellow stripe around the middle, the new stuff doesn't - so when I do somehow drop a bit, these poor old eyes can't find it. (In fairness, I lost a chainsaw wrench recently, its about6" long, shaped vaguely like a T, and was painted safety orange - can't find that either, but its somewhere in three acres, so...)
I try to spray yellow on my tools, so if I drop them I can at least have a chance to find them.

I might consider using hardieboard with the price of OSB up to $30 for 7/16" 4x8. I can remember when it was $8 a sheet not too many years ago. I might even start scrounging for old pallets and try and de-nail them.
I hate OSB, consider it a waste of money for outdoor projects.

Worked on the latest coop today, put the 4 pieces of plywood up I had painted.
20210203_161459.jpg

20210203_152824.jpg

Back
Top Bottom