if somebody could invent a strawberry that deer don't like, they could make a fortune.
yesterday my hedge/grass trimmer arrived. I have the battery charged up.
it is 24volt. supposed to be able to cut 1" branches. we will be mostly using it to mow grass where the lawn mower can't reach. like under the arbor wire and between the grape vines. also to cut down burdock, thistles and pig weed.
will let you know how it works.

Good thing I looked it up first - this is a garden friend, if I identified it right as a "pleasing fungus beetle."

Well, at least it doesn't eat the garden plants. We want the stumps gone so maybe it is good that the fungus that the beetle eats eats the stumps.

Attachments

• 5CD65586-BEB4-42C3-AE9C-98F74820665E.jpeg
    5CD65586-BEB4-42C3-AE9C-98F74820665E.jpeg
    359.9 KB · Views: 0
a mushroom eating beetle, how fancy
Annie found a grape vine along the wind break along the driveway. It is a very hardy looking specimen . She started pulling weeds and brush from around it. found out that there are several trunks and they go farther back into the pine trees than we first thought. as she is pulling out weeds, she comes to a gooseberry bush in bloom. more weeding and a choke cherry tree in blossom. plus two unidentified trees that appear to be some sort of cherry or berry, also in blossom.
Looking up, there are the electric wires to the house. aaahhh, the birds' dining room, or should I say,
bathroom?
that's how we ended up with three blackberry patches.

a mushroom eating beetle, how fancy
Annie found a grape vine along the wind break along the driveway. It is a very hardy looking specimen . She started pulling weeds and brush from around it. found out that there are several trunks and they go farther back into the pine trees than we first thought. as she is pulling out weeds, she comes to a gooseberry bush in bloom. more weeding and a choke cherry tree in blossom. plus two unidentified trees that appear to be some sort of cherry or berry, also in blossom.
Looking up, there are the electric wires to the house. aaahhh, the birds' dining room, or should I say,
bathroom?
that's how we ended up with three blackberry patches.
I am hating blackberry canes, they keep coming up all over my garden. Idk how many i have pulled up, or dug up. Yet they keep coming back. At least the goats will eat them!

It is amazing how things that you don't want to grow, will grow so well where you don't want them to.
upon further weeding, Annie has found a whole bunch more gooseberry
bushes. In the fall, I would like to transplant a few into a hedge row.
Now she is in one of the small blackberry patches where there is a nice elderberry bush growing. I think I spotted another one in there. If there is another one, I am going to mow the blackberries down and let the elderberries take over. I already mowed around the first elderberry..

today I mowed the whole small blackberry patch down. What we found in there is, an eldeberry bush, a honeysuckle bush, a choke cherry tree , some more gooseberries and an assortment of flowers.
If the blackberries grow back, I will keep them in just one or two rows instead of a patch , like they were..
I put the tire back on the yard cart. It still doesn't hold air, but the side walls are very stiff. I sat on the corner of the cart and the tire didn't even go flat.

Back
Top Bottom