Helpful hints for feeding mash, please.

SmokinChick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Kingsville, MD
I am using a broiler mash for my meaties. Or trying to feed mash I should say.
Anyway, It is jamming in the feeders I built. I have to stir them every several hours. So I switched to my Harris 12 lb gravity feeder from TSC that I used successfully for crumbles in the past.
I open the bottom to the largest setting and although there is more food available, after they eat what is presented the mash fails to fall into the tray area.
Anybody have any insight or hints for using mash? I am planning on using a trough feeder in several weeks when the birds are bigger, but until then? I am not able to stay home and stir the feed every couple of hours.
Thanks

If you can set the troughs to the right height for the birds, that is the best way I know for using mash. Its funny how a smaller size can arch over an opening easier than a larger piece of the same material. Maybe a large diameter PVC pipe magazine that feeds a PVC pipe trough of the same size might work. Or is that what you already have?

The Harris feeder does work the best.
I made gravity feeders out of a 14" piece of 6" PVC attached to a metal camping dinner plate. I added spacers to raise the PVC 3/4" above the plate. But the plate is only 2" larger in dia. then the pipe so I can't go any higher. I tried with funnels inside the pipe and without. Pretty much the same results. The need to "shake" the feeder every couple of hrs.
As for a trough, I am thinking just pouring the feed into a rain gutter once the meaties can reach into the gutter and eat.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom