Helpful hints for feeding mash, please.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SmokinChick, Apr 2, 2012.

1. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    I am using a broiler mash for my meaties. Or trying to feed mash I should say.
    Anyway, It is jamming in the feeders I built. I have to stir them every several hours. So I switched to my Harris 12 lb gravity feeder from TSC that I used successfully for crumbles in the past.
    I open the bottom to the largest setting and although there is more food available, after they eat what is presented the mash fails to fall into the tray area.
    Anybody have any insight or hints for using mash? I am planning on using a trough feeder in several weeks when the birds are bigger, but until then? I am not able to stay home and stir the feed every couple of hours.
    Thanks

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Mash simply won't flow like pellets or even crumbles
    Just put it in some open containers until you can make a better version

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If you can set the troughs to the right height for the birds, that is the best way I know for using mash. Its funny how a smaller size can arch over an opening easier than a larger piece of the same material. Maybe a large diameter PVC pipe magazine that feeds a PVC pipe trough of the same size might work. Or is that what you already have?

4. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    The Harris feeder does work the best.
    I made gravity feeders out of a 14" piece of 6" PVC attached to a metal camping dinner plate. I added spacers to raise the PVC 3/4" above the plate. But the plate is only 2" larger in dia. then the pipe so I can't go any higher. I tried with funnels inside the pipe and without. Pretty much the same results. The need to "shake" the feeder every couple of hrs.
    As for a trough, I am thinking just pouring the feed into a rain gutter once the meaties can reach into the gutter and eat.
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by