Does anyone have a good chicken feed spreadsheet they will please share?

Pics

Chickeeaholic

Songster
Mar 8, 2021
I can’t begin to express how frustrated I am at pre made chicken feeds ( pellets/crumbles). I’ve tried every feed out there over the past two years. Also my local feed store mash.

I’m opting to make my own. I don’t want to, I’m finding it very scary and don’t want to hurt my chickens. They are not just livestock to me. I feel it’s all I’m left with though.

Does anyone have a spreadsheet they could post that I can use for making up a balanced recipe? I don’t want to screw this up. Thanks so much!

No.

I've seen a handful of spreadsheets out there - most only look at crude protein. That does not a balanced diet make. A few look at the top four critical amino acids, maybe fat, calcium, phos, but don't go further than that. The data sources on many are highly suspect.

If you are truly serious about making your own feed, STRONGLY recommend you do your own research, and build your own.

I have a spreadsheet I built in the process of learning about feeding chickens. I learned I will never make my own feed. Too many unknowns you can't control, even with the best of intentions. Also, not remotely cost effective for me (or most).

I will add that I learned enough building mine that I will, eventually, completely rebuild it from the ground up - it has too many errors and unwritten assumptions for me to loan it out to anyone that doesn't know at least the little that I do about feeding chickens - and those that know more generally have their own tools to rely on.

if you find Garden Betty's spreadsheet, steer WAY WAY WAY clear of it - not only does it look at essentially nothing but crude protein, but its data sources aren't simply suspect, they are clearly wrong. Sadly, that's pretty typical.

Do you mean using whole grains?

I don't grind the feed. I buy whole corn, whole wheat, whole oats (also called groats), and sunflower seeds. The birds I have now were not eating the corn, but have started to since it has gotten cold.

I ferment the feed, three days for wheat, oats, and corn. One day for sunflower seeds. I feed 1/5 corn, 2/5 wheat, 2/5 oats. To that I add a little sunflower seed. I do not feed "scratch". They find special treats all over the yard in the form of insects, flowers, weeds, worms,... Feeding this way is cheaper than buying a commercial feed, and I think it is also healthier.

The chickens forage during the day, but they are not nearly as efficient as Rhode Island Reds. When it snows I will have to feed them more, probably double- twice a day instead of once a day.

I can’t begin to express how frustrated I am at pre made chicken feeds ( pellets/crumbles). I’ve tried every feed out there over the past two years. Also my local feed store mash.

I’m opting to make my own. I don’t want to, I’m finding it very scary and don’t want to hurt my chickens. They are not just livestock to me. I feel it’s all I’m left with though.
What are you frustrated about in your feeds? Nutrition? Cost? Something else?

As @U_Stormcrow said, you will not be able to get cheaper than mass-produced feed. Mixing a good quality/nutritious feed is possible, but definitely takes an investment in learning.

Some possibilities: adding some type of supplement depending on what you feel is missing, free ranging (if possible), fermenting feed.

Does anyone have a spreadsheet they could post that I can use for making up a balanced recipe? I don’t want to screw this up. Thanks so much!
this is not a spreadsheet, but you might find it useful
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...eat-tears-a-calculator-or-deep-pockets.78655/

I will add that I learned enough building mine that I will, eventually, completely rebuild it from the ground up - it has too many errors and unwritten assumptions for me to loan it out to anyone that doesn't know at least the little that I do about feeding chickens - and those that know more generally have their own tools to rely on.

if you find Garden Betty's spreadsheet, steer WAY WAY WAY clear of it - not only does it look at essentially nothing but crude protein, but its data sources aren't simply suspect, they are clearly wrong. Sadly, that's pretty typical.
I really appreciate your thoughtful reply and advice. I have read all I could here and actually thought I would base my recipe on what you told someone about Justin Rhodes recipe in another thread. I have everything for his but peas. I’m having trouble getting them. I’m having trouble with soy beans too. That’s what I need a spreadsheet for. To really tune it if I can.

I don’t want to make my own. I realize what a pain it is. I have a flock of hybrids and heritage and all with their own needs. It seems one type of feed doesn’t work well for one or the other whatever I feed them. I’m also dealing with MG. I have to manage that. I really just want the best I can do at this point for their nutrition. I’ve already lost one. They have been on pellets and very little treats now. They still seem to be lacking something. Making my own in whole grains is a last ditch effort.

Do you mean using whole grains?

I don't grind the feed. I buy whole corn, whole wheat, whole oats (also called groats), and sunflower seeds. The birds I have now were not eating the corn, but have started to since it has gotten cold.

I ferment the feed, three days for wheat, oats, and corn. One day for sunflower seeds. I feed 1/5 corn, 2/5 wheat, 2/5 oats. To that I add a little sunflower seed. I do not feed "scratch". They find special treats all over the yard in the form of insects, flowers, weeds, worms,... Feeding this way is cheaper than buying a commercial feed, and I think it is also healthier.

The chickens forage during the day, but they are not nearly as efficient as Rhode Island Reds. When it snows I will have to feed them more, probably double- twice a day instead of once a day.
Yes, I want to feed them whole grains. Thanks for your recipe. I’m thinking the whole grains will be healthier too.

What are you frustrated about in your feeds? Nutrition? Cost? Something else?

As @U_Stormcrow said, you will not be able to get cheaper than mass-produced feed. Mixing a good quality/nutritious feed is possible, but definitely takes an investment in learning.

Some possibilities: adding some type of supplement depending on what you feel is missing, free ranging (if possible), fermenting feed.
I’m frustrated because no matter what brand of feed or type of feed I still seem to be dealing with health issues with my birds. I’ve tried them all. The only one I haven’t tried is Modesto Milling.

My flock has MG. I know I might not be getting optimal results for that alone? I have three MM at 2.5 years old now too. I’ve been reading on here for months. From what I gather that breed is susceptible to problems after 2 years? It seems what one MM is okay with the other starts having problems. My other breeds not so much. I don’t want to cull and start over though. I got attached. I was thinking whole grains with all the added nutrients like Fertrell nutri balance might work better for everyone?

I have EE, Brahmas, Orpingtons and MMs. If it wasn’t for the MMs I think everyone would be okay.

For now they are on nutrena. They are molting so they are on feather fixer and oyster shell in a different container. It’s okay but one MM seems to have a reproductive infection acting up again on this. She was okay on Layena but a different MM was having problems on that. Same issue. It’s been like that since May.

Back
Top Bottom