Helpful hints for maintaining run

Personally, I leave my pine straw in the coop and run until the chickens have it well on the way to compost already.

We also use it as mulch for our fruit trees and grapevines.

The finish compost goes into the garden, orchard, etc.

Our soil is sooooo very awful I can't get enough organic material into it. :D
Cool beans. Ya got a pic of how it should look at that point? We just started using our PN for that purpose a couple of days ago. It is already flattened by the girls and guy. Wondering if I am go "fluffen" it up or something?

Now, I have decided upon hay. I think it a bit more affordable and I read it is compostable.

Are you using straw or hay? Hay is typically used as livestock feed and has a pretty high moisture content (it can harbor mold and pathogens) - may not make the best litter material for poopy chickens. Many people use chopped straw, which is dried stalks of grain 🌾 (much more absorbent, but not great at releasing moisture, so might have to be changed frequently).

Hemp is expensive at first, but doesn't have to be replaced nearly as frequently (if it's in a dry coop and turned often). Many people who use hemp only replace it once per year (sometimes even less, depending on individual variables of course), although one does need to keep adding a dry layer on top from time to time, so you do have to buy quite a bit at the beginning.

I hope this was helpful. ❤️

Now, I have decided upon hay. I think it a bit more affordable and I read it is compostable.

Hay is a compost green -- a nitrogen source. You need compost BROWNS -- carbon sources -- because the chicken manure is a POWERFUL nitrogen source.

Cool beans. Ya got a pic of how it should look at that point?

I don't think so. I just keep piling more stuff in there and let it work. Eventually you can't tell what it used to be and it just looks like dirt. :D

One of the advantages of pine straw is that it resists packing and matting. I let the chickens do the fluffing for me -- tossing a handful of treats into any portion of the litter that looks like it could do with some fluffing. Though if it gets poop-crusted under the roost then it's necessary to do some work with the pitchfork.

Initially, I put too many pine needles in run, it wasn't breaking down and formed a mat. Chickens walked on top, couldn't dust bathe couldn't scratch and break it up.I realized I should have used layers pn, grass clips, leaves. So that is why I cleaned it out. I would start a pile, then roll entire mat out by hand (no rake)
I just finished coop today and added grass clips.

Initially, I put too many pine needles in run, it wasn't breaking down and formed a mat. Chickens walked on top, couldn't dust bathe couldn't scratch and break it up.I realized I should have used layers pn, grass clips, leaves. So that is why I cleaned it out. I would start a pile, then roll entire mat out by hand (no rake)
👍. Throw the poop from the coop in there too. Will kick start the decomposition.

I believe my chicks have formed a mat on the pine needles also. I cannot wait to get off work this afternoon so I can go home and work with my checks. I am so mentally distracted all I can think about is raking up more pine needles and such for them.

I believe my chicks have formed a mat on the pine needles also. I cannot wait to get off work this afternoon so I can go home and work with my checks. I am so mentally distracted all I can think about is raking up more pine needles and such for them.

Fluff the needles up with your pitchfork.

When they're older the chickens will do a good job of stirring up the bedding, but young chicks aren't strong enough.

Back
Top Bottom