Helpful kitchen tips and hints!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Acre of Blessings, May 18, 2008.

1. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Thought this was some neat info. so I am passing it along to you.................

--To determine whether eggs are fresh or not, put them in a few inches of water. If they're horizontal, they're fresh. If they're vertical, they're not.

--If you're seperating several eggs, crack them all into a bowl and use your clean hands to scoop out the yolks.

--Partially frozen evaporated skim milk whips up like cream.

--Use a little soy sauce to salt and color gravy.

--For fluffier mashed potatoes, add a pinch of Baking Soda along with the milk and butter when mashing.

--Put a jar lid in the bottom of a double broiler. It will rattle if the water has boiled away.

--If mixing by hand, 150 strokes equals one minute of electric beating time.

--Never cook with wine you wouldn't drink. (I don't use wine at all)

--Drop a wine cork into a pot of stew. The tanning in it helps tenderize the meat.

--Homemade cookie dough is a welcome and thoughtful host/hostess gift.

--Use a clear baking dish as a page weight for your cookbook. You can read through it.

--Slip your hands in a plastic bag to answer the phone while mixing meatloaf and other messy jobs.

--Microwave hard winter squash on high for two minutes to make it easier to peel and cut.

--Skin chicken when its slightly frozen for easy skinning.

--To help keep a pan from boiling over, rub butter around the rim of the pan.

--Put a slice of bread in your cookie jar to keep chewy cookies soft.

--Use an egg slicer to cut mushrooms.

--To ripen a tomato, put and apple in a perforated bag.

--If you get mold on you cheese, just slice it off. The English agree that if the mold won't eat your Cheddar, it can't be very good.

Hope this helps one of you that are new to cooking and kitchen work.

2. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    Thanks for the tips!

3. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Your Welcome [​IMG]

4. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    I like the idea of using an egg slicer to slice mushrooms. I never even thought of that!! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by