Helping feathers regrow

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kimice, Sep 12, 2011.

1. kimice

kimice Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I rescued a scraggly looking bunch of hens yesterday. They were in terrible conditions. They are all missing ALOT of feathers. The lady there said that they were molting, but I think it has more to do with how many roosters and hens where in cramped conditions. Just wondering if there is anything special I can feed them to get thier feathers regrowing a little faster? If not, about how long does it take for a hens feathers to regrow.

Sharon Shipek likes this.
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I found the manna pro products to be somewhat helpful in making some rescued hens start looking better faster.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

High protein treats (we are giving ours leftover scrambled eggs, meat scraps, etc.).

5. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Black oil sunflower seed (BOSS) is great during a molt. It is high in protein.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Chickensaresweet and chickendude have good suggestions. I'd not offer them any treats except for high protein ones. I've heard game bird feed has higher protein than layer feed too.
    It's probably a combination of the conditions you described AND molting, because it IS about that time again (molting).

7. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I recently rescued a hen that basically had no feathers except on her underside. It was a combo of too many roo's & lack of feed & they kept her running anytime it was day light. I put her in a pen with normal feed, clean water & only added additional table scraps & some cat food every once in a while she now has her feathers back except her tail........it was so bad that I wasn't sure what breed she was.....she is a speckled sussex.

1 person likes this.
  8. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Feathers are made of protein. Generic dry kitten food has upwards to 34% protein (paw n claws brand) at Tractor Supply. They go primal over the cats' leftover canned food also. BOSS is very good but try to buy a large bag so it's less expensive!

9. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Quote:BOSS is 15% protein, not really that high.

10. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:BOSS is 15% protein, not really that high.

True not that high but added as a supplement to you layer feed and it will help them out allot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by