Helping my Alpha

Robineggs

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2021
For the first time since inheriting my flock, the beta has challenged my alpha. Alpha - Willie, Beta - Rudy. Willie does a great job a managing the flock and he is very sweet to me. Rudy is young and lacks management skills. He just wants to mate with all the hens. He isn’t ready for the job.

Rudy has decided over the last three days to challenge Willie daily. He fights Willie hard. Today, I broke up the fight and may have helped Willie a little...just a little. They’ve stopped fighting and I’m hoping there is peace among the flock again.

i know I should let nature take its course (maybe) but Willie is great and I don’t want the reigns turned over yet. Was I right to interfere or should I let nature decide?

It all depends upon whether or not you want to keep Willie in your flock. Eventually the younger bird will beat him and continue to make life miserable. A lot depends upon how large an area they have. Have a plan 'B' in mind.

It all depends upon whether or not you want to keep Willie in your flock. Eventually the younger bird will beat him and continue to make life miserable. A lot depends upon how large an area they have. Have a plan 'B' in mind.
Thank you. Willie is about 5-6. Rudy is about 2. Age is not on Willie’s side, but he’s giving as good as he is getting for the most part so I feel like he is still strong and capable. I don’t want him hurt. I thought of removing Rudy for a while to let things calm down, and give Willlie a break.

Back
Top Bottom