Helping my lonely only chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bantyshanty, Dec 7, 2009.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    I have a chick that hatched five days ago, and, due to intervening to save her too many times, she ended up the only of five eggs to hatch. She is perfect now, but she came out half the size of any other silkie chick I've seen (about 1 inch body, 3/4 inch head. She's now about 2 3/4 inches. I have a silkie batch hatching tomorrow.. .like maybe 10. Should I put here in with one other day-old silkie chick, who will probably be her size, or should I wait?

She thinks my hand is her mom, and the only way I get her to eat is to pretend my index finger is mommy hen's beak, and peck around on the floor for crumbles, 6 times a day. She eats very well, just not alone. Her brooder friends are a feather boa balled up and a mirror.

Any ideas are welcome. thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    She needs to be with other chicks.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I would put her in with the others.

4. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    That's a relief to hear that you have more hatching. Yes, definately put her in with the others when they come. And, congrats!

5. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Thanks! She just got 6 white siblings who are one day old and bigger than her. She's a week old tiny silkie like smaller than a button quail. She looks at them like: "can't you cheepy things get it together?" [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by