Hemmie passed away this morning

Hemmie, my little girl Australian Spotted, died quietly this morning, apparently in her sleep. She never showed any signs of distress or discomfort, never slowed in eating or playing or pooping. Her little lower tummy was still hard after she passed, and it looked like she had an internal prolapse. I'm hoping that Downey, the drake, will be okay and will make friends with the little wood duck female now. I'm really heartbroken, though.
I’m sooo sorry, Saigey! She will always be in your heart and I know that!

@Saigey I am so sorry to hear about Hemmie I'm so heartbroken for you. I know exactly how you are feeling I lost one of my Female Runners about a month ago, No symptoms outwardly just found her like she was sleeping one morning when I went in to let everyone out. They just hide sickness so well. Now you need to focus on Downey and getting him and your little wood duck together. Place them side by side and let them get to know each other. It's going to be different for Downey now that Hemmie isn't there. I am not being callous, honest but he will need this little one now even if he doesn't realize it yet.

I know how much you love those two little ones and we all enjoyed so much getting to know them and all the pictures. Please know you are in our hearts and please keep us updated on how you all are doing. :hugs

@Saigey I am so sorry to hear about Hemmie I'm so heartbroken for you. I know exactly how you are feeling I lost one of my Female Runners about a month ago, No symptoms outwardly just found her like she was sleeping one morning when I went in to let everyone out. They just hide sickness so well. Now you need to focus on Downey and getting him and your little wood duck together. Place them side by side and let them get to know each other. It's going to be different for Downey now that Hemmie isn't there. I am not being callous, honest but he will need this little one now even if he doesn't realize it yet.

I know how much you love those two little ones and we all enjoyed so much getting to know them and all the pictures. Please know you are in our hearts and please keep us updated on how you all are doing. :hugs
That's exactly how it was with Hemmie. She was happy and doing everything that ducks do, and then I found her in the morning, just like she was sleeping.

It doesn't sound callous at all. I've been wanting them all to be friends, and maybe Downey knew something was wrong with Hemmie and was trying to protect her. I moved their enclosures closer, and they both are getting lots of cuddle time while the other watches. Fingers crossed. I think I need those two to be friends even more than they do.
Thank you and everyone else for all of your thoughts and prayers. It's so helpful to know that there are people who understand. 💖

I'm so sorry for you. Losing a duck is a real heartbreaker. I still get so sad when I think about Daisy and it's been 2 years! I think @Miss Lydia is right about getting that little wood duck with Downey asap. They will most likely become very good friends.

In the past year, I've had to rehome 3 drakes and they all went to be companions with lone ducks whose partner had died. In all 3 cases, it worked out perfectly. They all took to each other right away with no drama. The lonely duck was so glad to have a friend that they didn't care that my ducks were runners and they were not. Like peas in a pod before you know it. My little chocolate runner Patches went to live with a big ole' Pekin girl and it was love at first sight!

Back
Top Bottom