Hemmie passed away this morning

Pics

Saigey

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
Alabama, USA
Hemmie, my little girl Australian Spotted, died quietly this morning, apparently in her sleep. She never showed any signs of distress or discomfort, never slowed in eating or playing or pooping. Her little lower tummy was still hard after she passed, and it looked like she had an internal prolapse. I'm hoping that Downey, the drake, will be okay and will make friends with the little wood duck female now. I'm really heartbroken, though.

Hemmie, my little girl Australian Spotted, died quietly this morning, apparently in her sleep. She never showed any signs of distress or discomfort, never slowed in eating or playing or pooping. Her little lower tummy was still hard after she passed, and it looked like she had an internal prolapse. I'm hoping that Downey, the drake, will be okay and will make friends with the little wood duck female now. I'm really heartbroken, though.
I'm sorry for your loss. 😭 😭 😭

You may have to get a new friend for the drake...sometimes they grieve pretty badly. My friend has ducks, had 2 drakes & 4 hens, 1 hen passed & 1 of his drakes became lethargic. He was afraid of illness but they were all in good health. The hen that died was due to a fox. Anyway, when he got an additional hen, the drake got out of his funk and became very protective of the new hen if the other 3 were too pushy. Now 6 mos later they all snuggle & swim together. Just keep an eye on him, they can get depressed. Again, so sorry for your loss.
I have a female orphaned wood duck that's nearing 20 weeks old. I have had to keep them separated thus far, but maybe they will become friends.

Back
Top Bottom