Stanley passed Away....

I don't know about your Tractor Supply, but as for their corporate policy they will not make exceptions to the rule... and in fact our Tractor Supply tried to make me get 4 chicks when I was getting 2 chicks and 2 ducklings, until I pointed out that the sign actually said ducks and chicks could be combined. I guess last year they couldn't be combined.

I agree to check into anyone local trying to re-home any ducks. I too got 2 ducklings from Tractor Supply in April but lost one to a predator between 6-8 weeks, and the other did not do well by herself. She did have the 2 chicks but they wouldn't accept her. She would try to roost with them in their cage and they would attack and peck her so we stopped letting them free range at the same time. Then she would just roost outside their coop when she was out. I got a gosling and a duckling together from an online farm, and she immediately was more interested in them than the chickens the day I moved them outside. She is still a little bossy to them and the chicks, but the 3 waterfowl roost in the grass together and all can be out free-range together without any disagreements. I think you would have a slightly better chance of talking with one of those farms about making an exception to only get 1 too. I got my duckling & gosling from Metzer Farms, and it looks like they hatch ducklings through the year.

I agree with everyone else though that you might want to think about getting 2 more though. Aside from wanting the goose to bond with the ducks, I was worried about the duckling being alone as a baby. You can't just put the baby with the adult as soon as it hatches and it will have to be alone as long as you keep them separated.

We are going to get Dewey a new friend, anyone have tips for introducing a new friend? We got Dewey from Tractor Supply in April, so we are assuming he is 3-4months old. He is the only duck we have now, so we only have to introduce the duckling to one duck. We are getting 2 ducklings until they are old enough to go outside and then we will be giving the one baby to our friend who has ducks. We can only have 2 ducks, but don’t want to duckling to grown alone

Best way since you'll have to brood them until they are feathered in is to take them outside on nice days and of course with supervision let them get to meet Dewey, Best to have a pen set up so the ducklings will be safe in case Dewey wants to bite them etc. Once the duckling are big close to his size start letting them be out on the ground with Dewey toss some treats out for them. Hopefully by the time the ducklings will be Dewey's size he will have accepted them. Dewey is going to be huge compared to these ducklings and can be injured real easy so be careful with intros. I have 2 Runner ducklings that will be living with the Runner adults soon as mama lets them go, I have a large dog crate set up in my big coop so they can sleep in there at night and be around the other ducks chickens and goose but they won't be able to be picked on. They are being raised by my Muscovy now.

Back
Top Bottom