Hemp bedding?

I just completed a test, I used hemp bedding for a month now and my chickens refuse to eat anything but Nachos and gas station Chili dogs. They always have the "munchies" but they are "way cool" and "so relaxed". My rooster has stopped crowing at sunrise, (sleeps till noon now) when he wakes up all he says is "Whoa Dude!"
wink.png

I think I am going back to pine shavings.....
lau.gif

Prefer getting hemp from these guys who seem to not get it from China, which is known for using herbicides and pesticides - http://hemp-solutions.org/animal-bedding/

Hemp does have some qulaities that are worth noting, no magic just science. Hemp Hurd is Hydrophobic, meaning it hold but does not absorb liquid/water. Hemp Fiber does that meaning it's hydrophilic. So being hydrophobic hemp hurd (aka Shiv) when animals move around in it the water is released below the layer of hemp hurd which the chickens/animals benefit from since it creates an ammonia barrier below the animal. Besides it is virtually dust free. So since the two biggest health risks from using pine shavings are that you have to continuously add additional shavings to keep the ammonia fumes down and by doing so you add dust particulate into the air Hemp is in essence pretty magical since none of these problems are apparent by the farms that use it.

Seen by most to be excessively expensive however the costs are very close since the repeated supplementing of the bedding is not necessary with hemp, sequestering of fumes below and no dust present that makes the coop night in day not to mention the health of the chickens who do not experience either.

For our chickens we'll go with Hemp it's simply better. Oh I almost forgot, when the liquid moves to the flooring the hemp releases a fresh, can only describe it as a organic smell into the air. It's almost like magic!

Thanks for listening
Oddledood

I only know about it because I was watching a video on coops when I was researching coop designs and deep litter and there was a company I think it was called Carolina Coops or something like that and they make these huge custom expensive coops and they used hemp bedding.

Tannins in wood are concentrated in the bark. The concentration in the pulp, the part that commercial pine shavings come from, is minimal. I've been raising chickens for ten years on wood chippings and shavings, and I've not seen any problems arise form it.

Opinion = I prefer hemp bedding because I feel like there is less risk to my animals.

Fact = Hemp contains no tannins, pine contains tannins. Tannins are bad for animals at x exposure level. I don't know if there is enough tannin in pine to actually cause a problem.

If you choose to make factual claims, be prepared to back them up. Otherwise, stick to voicing opinion as opinion, not as fact without evidence. There is a difference.

It is readily available in the US, it's used in Europe because it's more readily available. and it does have magical qualities. Naturally antimicrobial, 3 x's more absorbent than than hay/straw 2.5 x's more absorbent than woodchips. Completely safe and no dust. If you can use it. I'm not sure how much more magical you can get than that. 4 companies in the USA have it and one has eco friendly packaging. For my money and my chickens they get hemp. I got with www.hemp-solutions.org or their store on ecwid https://store5654096.ecwid.com/HEMP-ANIMAL-BEDDING-c23122023

It works it's superior and that's what I use. Simply put I have no fear of toxins in our coops.

Well, that was quite the debate that started from a simple question from a curious newbie
duc.gif

No duct tape needed....it was a learning experience for all. If anything all the back and forth made me want to look into it further. Thanks all!

Hm. I just answered your question, which you had stated was a serious question.
Hmmm, My question was to the poster I quoted, and being serious was meant for the dirt---not the question---LOL. You jumped in and answered something directed to the other poster----which was perfectly fine----so I just "vented" on you and who ever else wanted to read----Nothing towards you at all---Sorry.

I do raise a lot of chicks---well until recently---the 100 or so I raise a week right now are on wire and I do add the poop and paper the poop tray is lined with to the compost pile---so I am not using any bedding at this time---But I got some if I need it. I still say everyone else can use what they want!! Thanks for your time!

Great post!! PDriverman.
So good to hear from folk who raise in great quantity! You see so many things we small backyarders will never see with our small operations. It's very educational.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom