Hemp bedding?

I do question if it is so fantastic, why don't more people use it? Is it the cost? I'm really asking because I have asthma and thinking of different ways to bed down my coop. Is there anything else folks who have asthma use that is good?

Well, that was quite the debate that started from a simple question from a curious newbie

No duct tape needed....it was a learning experience for all. If anything all the back and forth made me want to look into it further. Thanks all!
That happens here...often good things learned that way
wink.png

I do question if it is so fantastic, why don't more people use it? Is it the cost? I'm really asking because I have asthma and thinking of different ways to bed down my coop. Is there anything else folks who have asthma use that is good?
Cost and availability(which are often tied together due to shipping).
If I could get a bale of it locally at same price as straw...I'd give it a go.

Probably a good, well fitting mask is your best bet....chickens are dusty, hard to get around it.
Not all the dust is from bedding.....feather sheathings, pulverized poops, feed, them scratching up whatever there is to scratch up, etc.
Dry plant matter, no matter the source is gonna have some dust.
Straw is not nearly as dusty as most and great for nests, but not so great for coop floors and drying out the poops.
Moist truly composting deep litter might be an answer, but that has drawbacks as well and is not applicable in many situations.

Have you tried a search?
advanced search>titles only>asthma

I just completed a test, I used hemp bedding for a month now and my chickens refuse to eat anything but Nachos and gas station Chili dogs. They always have the "munchies" but they are "way cool" and "so relaxed". My rooster has stopped crowing at sunrise, (sleeps till noon now) when he wakes up all he says is "Whoa Dude!"
wink.png

I think I am going back to pine shavings.....
lau.gif

I just completed a test, I used hemp bedding for a month now and my chickens refuse to eat anything but Nachos and gas station Chili dogs. They always have the "munchies" but they are "way cool" and "so relaxed". My rooster has stopped crowing at sunrise, (sleeps till noon now) when he wakes up all he says is "Whoa Dude!"
wink.png

I think I am going back to pine shavings.....
lau.gif
LOL! Hilarious and I love it
lau.gif
lol.png

That happens here...often good things learned that way
wink.png

Cost and availability(which are often tied together due to shipping).
If I could get a bale of it locally at same price as straw...I'd give it a go.

Probably a good, well fitting mask is your best bet....chickens are dusty, hard to get around it.
Not all the dust is from bedding.....feather sheathings, pulverized poops, feed, them scratching up whatever there is to scratch up, etc.
Dry plant matter, no matter the source is gonna have some dust.
Straw is not nearly as dusty as most and great for nests, but not so great for coop floors and drying out the poops.
Moist truly composting deep litter might be an answer, but that has drawbacks as well and is not applicable in many situations.

Have you tried a search?
advanced search>titles only>asthma
Hmm, so far no problems with my asthma but I have to be careful. I work in the medical field so I'll probably just wear a mask when cleaning etc. and see how it goes. thanks

I do question if it is so fantastic, why don't more people use it?  Is it the cost?  I'm really asking because I have asthma and thinking of different ways to bed down my coop.  Is there anything else folks who have asthma use that is good?  

I am sure not more people use it because it is very hard to get here. I believe hemp growing was lumped together with growing marijuana and outlawed (this is not researched, just something I believe I read somewhere sometime). If I want to get hemp bedding I have to have it shipped here and it would cost more than even the Koop Clean if I did that.
I will buy it as soon as I can get it at our feed store or shipped at a more reasonable price, though. It composts better than shavings, doesn't have the arsenic content of rice hulls (we have enough of that in our well water I don't need to add even more to our garden through the compost), or all the sweet pdz of Koop Clean.... I used chopped straw a while but now can't get it anymore.
I am sure hemp would be better for anyone with Asthma, because it doesn't have as much dust - but then chickens themselves are dusty, too and maybe one should be wearing a dust mask in the coop anyway if that is a problem...

Why don't everyone go with wire floor brooders and eliminate the bedding completely for chicks??
Because it is not comfortable for chicks to stand around and lie on wire. It hurts their feet and their feet can get trapped in the wire when they are tiny, too. When they lie down they don't have a nice warm cozy spot but just air circulating under them. It always amazes me that it is not obvious to people that wire is a bad choice.

Then why not dirt----can't get more natural than that----being serious!

Soil gets compacted quickly and does not absorb and evaporate moisture well. Consequently it provides a breeding ground for bacteria.
You want a material that is absorbant with lots of surface to give the moisture off into the air again, that will keep the brooder dry and stink free.

Back
Top Bottom