Hemp Bedding...

GemmaGA

Songster
Jun 11, 2020
NE Georgia (near Athens)
So this is our first time having chickens, and after lots of research my hubby was adamant that we use hemp bedding. So far it's been awesome - keeps odor at bay really well, doesn't get wet and soppy like pine shavings seem to. Just wondering if other folks use hemp bedding in their coop and what your thoughts are on it?

We used a deep litter method and have essentially had the hemp in the bottom of the coop for about 6 mo. with occasional cleaning and it's worked fairly well from my perspective, and has only really recently started to have any kind of bad odor. Anything we should do differently for the winter?

So this is our first time having chickens, and after lots of research my hubby was adamant that we use hemp bedding. So far it's been awesome - keeps odor at bay really well, doesn't get wet and soppy like pine shavings seem to. Just wondering if other folks use hemp bedding in their coop and what your thoughts are on it?

We used a deep litter method and have essentially had the hemp in the bottom of the coop for about 6 mo. with occasional cleaning and it's worked fairly well from my perspective, and has only really recently started to have any kind of bad odor. Anything we should do differently for the winter?
I LOVE hemp bedding!
I do not use deep litter but I do have a thick layer on the coop floor. I instead use poop boards that catch the vast majority of the poop in the coop and it is removed every morning by scooping it out of the Sweet PDZ. Zero odor. Very dry.

I use hemp bedding as well. I do take a couple of minutes every morning to scoop out the nightly poops and that has kept the coop dry and odor free.

Back
Top Bottom